Stihl MS660 bar and chain combo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&L Landscaping

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I asked the same question in another thread regarding the MS460 and it turned out to be a fun topic. So, I thought I would ask the same question regarding the 660.

Let's hear it fellas. What bar and chain combo are you running on your 660's?

Currently my modded 660 wears a 28" Stihl Lite ES with Semi-chisel Full-Skip. I'm not really sure its ever even had another sized bar on it for years, it did have a 20" on it for a day or two, as I remember that was a hoot.

Sam

I have a 16" bar and 36" bar for my 066. The 16" runs a thinned hand filed square oregon chain and the 36" wears RSC

I'm running a 32-inch Sugihara and Stihl semichisel full comp in 3/8. I believe it's a 7-pin. Modded as it is, it would easily take a longer bar, though I'd probably opt for semi or full skip chain at that point to reduce the chore of sharpening in the field. The current setup balances great.

My 066 wears a 32 inch stihl bar with full chisel skip tooth, but I also have stihl bars in 28",25",and 20" that I can put on it.

I liked a 28" stihl light bar with full comp square ground.

I run a Stihl 25" bar for hardwoods and a 36" Stihl lightweight or Oregon Powermatch for softwood. On both bars I run .375 full skip. .050 on the 25" and .063 on the 36"

25" Oregon Powermatch for general day to day use, and 36" Stihl bar for the big stuff.

Most used on my660 I have a 24" Windsor hardnose and an 28" Oregon Powermatch. I prefer mostly semi chisel but I use quite a bit of full chisel usually because I find it cheaper in bulk. Truck carries a 32" with multiple chains,different styles in case I need them.

I roll a 32" ES with full comp round ground chisel and an 8pin sprocket....or a honey badger. depends how precise I need to be.

I love running a 30 inch Oregon power match bar, full comp chain(0.63) and a 8 tooth sprocket. Saw is plain stock no mods. Pulls that setup through green Ironbark no dramas. In dead or burnt ironbark i run a 20 inch 7 tooth setup its a bit kinder i think on the saw. So yeah bigger bar for cutting posts and the smaller one for fire wood.

Im pretty much loaded up in the 660 dept. I have a 20"ES,25"ES a 30"Tsumura Light and a 36" GB Titanium.
All 3/8th .50 gague except the Tsumura 3/8th .63 gague.

Latest posts

Back