Stihl, now made in Brazil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most Iron ore comes from banded Iron formations that were laid down when photosynthesis type organisms appeared on the planet and oxygen became part of the atmosphere. Then there are the ones that are meteoric in origin, pieces similar to what is in our planets core impacting the surface of the earth. There may be volcanic ore bodies as well. Recycled scrap yard stuff has also been mentioned. They had bog Iron mines In Ct I read in a book not sure about that one.

Oxygen lance is one type of furnace, there are others. Chances are by now the source of the ore isn't as important as when they were making swords and armor to protect against the swords.
Do you honestly have even the slightest idea of how the vast majority steel mills produce product?

Let me tell you the mills in my area ( and we have many) are not producing steel from iron ore and they ones in China that might do so are sure as hell few and far between.

My lord the lack of common sense here is amazing.

Do you honestly have even the slightest idea of how the vast majority steel mills produce product?

Let me tell you the mills in my area ( and we have many) are not producing steel from iron ore and they ones in China that might do so are sure as hell few and far between.

My lord the lack of common sense here is amazing.
You really like to divert. Where steel comes from is enough of a diversion from chainsaw bars. I knew I could spell oxygen lance without making an error. Meteoric Steel has been special. Go ahead insult me over the difference between Iron and steel. How about something informative like what sort of ore the German Stihl bars come from?

You really like to divert. Where steel comes from is enough of a diversion from chainsaw bars. I knew I could spell oxygen lance without making an error. Meteoric Steel has been special. Go ahead insult me over the difference between Iron and steel. How about something informative like what sort of ore the German Stihl bars come from?
You are truly lost. Please put down your freaking book and go out and learn from the folks that actually work in the industry.

Do you think all those junk Chevy's are being buried in a landfill?

Hey, hey...... :ices_rofl: I have had them all ..............damn Dodge ate 5 or 6 transmissions, damn Ford ate engines, damn Chevy........well I have to go to Church so I will stop there.
Hey hey. I’ve seen them all. I owed an Auto Repair Shop for 40yrs. Just retired last Oct. . The Mopar guys “this baby’s got 150k on her “. They don’t tell ya that it took 4 engine , 9 trannys, 40 ball joints.. yadda yadda yadda.

Hey hey. I’ve seen them all. I owed an Auto Repair Shop for 40yrs. Just retired last Oct. . The Mopar guys “this baby’s got 150k on her “. They don’t tell ya that it took 4 engine , 9 trannys, 40 ball joints.. yadda yadda yadda.
I am a Ford guy but I am also a "equal opportunity offender/insulter" I did see my son's 1997 F350 4 door long bed, 7.3 still on the road Friday...............what a MONEY PIT

I am a Ford guy but I am also a "equal opportunity offender/insulter" I did see my son's 1997 F350 4 door long bed, 7.3 still on the road Friday...............what a MONEY PIT
Yup. The new ranger/mavrick. Is junk.
Ford v6 internal water pumps… Yeah like that’s a good idea. 🙄.
Over the summer garage sales, a newer dodge sitting off in a strange place. I asked what’s up with the truck. “It’s a ‘21 with 8,100 mls and been waiting on a tranny for 7mths.. I said did you have them order 3more. 😜

You need to go to the sites that sell parts like I did. Fairly priced I must say.
A few years ago I tried to get parts for my VW Beetle from Brazil. Their inflation was so high back then that they wouldn't give me a price. Needless to say, I didn't order..

A few years ago I tried to get parts for my VW Beetle from Brazil. Their inflation was so high back then that they wouldn't give me a price. Needless to say, I didn't order..
The man that use to have this farm would use old VW Bugs for chore vehicles. He would haul buckets of corn in the front and head out to the pasture. When one would die he would park it along the side of the ditch and shove it in with the dozer. Sadly he was murdered right here in 1991 but the old VW's are still buried in the hills.

Yup. The new ranger/mavrick. Is junk.
Ford v6 internal water pumps… Yeah like that’s a good idea. 🙄.
Over the summer garage sales, a newer dodge sitting off in a strange place. I asked what’s up with the truck. “It’s a ‘21 with 8,100 mls and been waiting on a tranny for 7mths.. I said did you have them order 3more. 😜
Folks think I am kidding when I say my Dodge 2500 went through at least 5 or 6 transmissions. It really did. I bought it from the US Army Corps of Engineers with 75,000 on it. I cannot say how many transmissions it had had before that. After I bought it I know it went through 5 or 6. The reverse gear would always go out. I drove it for a long time with no reverse until I had time to take it to the shop. The worst experience was on transmission #4 or #5. I left the tranny shop on a Friday night with it. It was 31 miles home. When I got home I went to use it to feed cows and guess what.............no damn reverse. The next one lasted awhile. After that the next started dropping itself out of overdrive and the trans temp light came on.

It is now in China as scrap steel.

Most Iron ore comes from banded Iron formations that were laid down when photosynthesis type organisms appeared on the planet and oxygen became part of the atmosphere. Then there are the ones that are meteoric in origin, pieces similar to what is in our planets core impacting the surface of the earth. There may be volcanic ore bodies as well. Recycled scrap yard stuff has also been mentioned. They had bog Iron mines In Ct I read in a book not sure about that one.

Oxygen lance is one type of furnace, there are others. Chances are by now the source of the ore isn't as important as when they were making swords and armor to protect against the swords.
The type of ore is very important. In the US high quality steel is produced in blast furnaces using benefacted and pelletized iron ore. I formerly worked in a mining and pelletizing facility in Upper Michigan.
The Chinese make steel mostly from direct shipped iron ore and fines that mostly originates in Western Australia.The Brazilians mine their own ore but use methods similar to the Chinese. So in a general sense Chinese and Brazilian steel is not high in quality.
The Chinese are sometimes able to produce quality products, but typicly this is only if a foreign company is overseeing the operation. Otherwise their quality control and material uniformity is terrible.

I spent a while catching up on Steel making. The terms now are electric arc furnace eaf and basic oxygen furnace. The eaf can use lots of scrap where the other that uses coal or coke seems to top out around 25% scrap. Hard to believe I found that structural steel is 93% scrap. I wonder where the hy80 they use to make the submarines comes from that is close to me here in Ct. Germany buying metallurgical grade coal has been of much benefit to the coal industry. The plants near Bill are likely eaf where the ones in China are mostly the bof using coal. The oxygen is made freezing air basically is my understanding from years ago so that electric generation could be from coal or something else. There is non sedimentary ores in Norway and Sweeden. Some of the reason for the reputation of Swedish steel.

I spent a while catching up on Steel making. The terms now are electric arc furnace eaf and basic oxygen furnace. The eaf can use lots of scrap where the other that uses coal or coke seems to top out around 25% scrap. Hard to believe I found that structural steel is 93% scrap. I wonder where the hy80 they use to make the submarines comes from that is close to me here in Ct. Germany buying metallurgical grade coal has been of much benefit to the coal industry. The plants near Bill are likely eaf where the ones in China are mostly the bof using coal. The oxygen is made freezing air basically is my understanding from years ago so that electric generation could be from coal or something else. There is non sedimentary ores in Norway and Sweeden. Some of the reason for the reputation of Swedish steel.
Structural steel is low grade. The best steels go into stampings and come from Blast/BOF only. EAF's are only make low quality products like structural steel, rear, etc.
And the scrap used in Blast/BOF is often "prime scrap". IE it's the trimings from the stamping process and not just shredded steel from a junk yard.
Direct reduced iron is also used in Blast/BOF furnaces to produce high quality steel.

A lot of good info on how the countries make their steel. It seems like Japan has got it figured out. My Sugi bars, Silkey blades and poles are second to none. How does Japan do it?

Metals are infinitely recyclable... perfectly good steel CAN be made from scrap if the process is designed to do so... but that is not always the case. It is unlike plastics where creating "virgin" (not recycled) quality plastics out of post consumer material is basically not done... there ARE some technologies that can do it, but they are extremely labor and energy intensive.

Japan has been making high grade steel for centuries... samurai and woodworking and razors and knives etc... one of the big interesting countries if the history of sharp steel interests you.

Metals are infinitely recyclable... perfectly good steel CAN be made from scrap if the process is designed to do so... but that is not always the case. It is unlike plastics where creating "virgin" (not recycled) quality plastics out of post consumer material is basically not done... there ARE some technologies that can do it, but they are extremely labor and energy intensive.

Japan has been making high grade steel for centuries... samurai and woodworking and razors and knives etc... one of the big interesting countries if the history of sharp steel interests you.
With all due respect, no, you can't make high-quality from ordinary scrap. Their are too many contaminants and too much variability to do so.

Back