Stihl Oilomatic Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right back to what I said earlier... The chrome layer is thicker on the RSC than the LGX...
But I can tell ya, if yer filing by hand, and want the fastest cutting chain, it's LGX...
If ya want a little less sharp, but more cuts before sharpening, it's RSC...
If you're in junk, dirt, and general mayhem, it's RMC..."semi-chisel"
I have them all... Use them all...
I like square ground RSLK the best, but it's not practical for some stuff...
But oh, is it smoooooth!!!!

Henry Ford said, "Whoever does a job best ought to be the one doing it." Course I mostly own Dodge, but to aquire something new today, I would get a Ford. Ford's point is my own. The Swiss steel is the best and their chrome is the best and thickest. Their manufacturing standards the highest. For now they get the job of providing American Hardwood cutters with our chain. Oregon and Carlton also make a fine product.

I believe there's only two chain manufacturers in the western world.

Stihl and Blount. Blount owns Oregon, Carlton, and Windsor (though they recently closed Windsor). Yeah, same Blount that owns Speeco.

I prefer Stihl as it stay sharp longer in my conditions. I used Oregon exclusively for years but after trying the Stihl there has been no turning back for me as I am only so-so at sharpening. Carleton has worked well for me too; I don't know the vintage or the model as it comes with the MAC bars I buy. The worst chain I have ever owned was a Husky branded - I was told it was made by Oregon - couldn't make two complete cuts in a 4' red oak - the Stihl never issed a beat. Ron

I agree on the Husky chain. Bought a new chain a couple of years ago, cut up a few pieces of locust and it was toast. I will never buy another Husky chain again! I have had my best results with stihl chains. :)

I use it all and it's all good.

Yeah, Stihl holds an edge a little longer, but I'd rather hand file Oregon.

Woodland Pro ain't bad either.

Sounds like a time to try something new / different for me , never used a Stihl chain before and really can't say that the chain's that I have been using are great ................cheap but that's the lure ........that's not always been the best route though so time to move on.

Going to buy a stihl chain and find out firsthand .

You can get a chain selection guide (pdf) off the StihlUSA site (google "stihl saw chain"). It has all the specs listed.

I cut 300+ cords a year for commercial firewood, and all my saws will ever see is RMC Stihl chain...it's worth its weight in gold to me. I've tried Carlton, Oregon, and Total and the only thing that comes close is the Total. Unfortunately, my other supplier can no longer get it, and my Stihl dealer also happens to be my full time employer so it works out well.

rsc is all i run. he first filing can be a PITA to remove the bur that the chain comes with, but after that it's not bad. just wish they made ripping chain

I use the Stihl chains because they do last longer than any other chain I've tried, they cost more, but in my book the 're worth it.
I've never had a chain that will hold a better edge.

Last edited:
Back