Stihl paint color and technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had the same problem as you.. got a 2nd hand saw which needed a bit of a tidy up cosmetically. Read here about the Stihl grey paint and marched to my dealer with the item number- problem was here in Northern ireland we only have one main stihl dealer (lots of smaller satellite dealers who go through the one main dealer) and although theyre nice to chat to.. theyre not that good when it comes to requests for more unusual items.. like paint, roller chain catcher or dp mufflers! The closest he could go was to point me in the direction of the stihl brand tree marking aerosols!!

Anyway i was back on this site searching old posts and some GENIUS suggested "Ford tractor gray" paint. i had no problem getting it and it was a really good match. (i must look back now and find out who it was and rep him now i know how to do that!

regards andrew
You guys are all color blind cause I tried that ford tractor Grey and it ain't anywhere close

How do you protect bearing bores and seal area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure if you’re asking me, but I screwed the crankcase halves together and taped over the bearing/seal areas. Then powdercoated it as an assembly. I ran an xacto blade around the seam. Not sure I would have had to do that (the blade around the seam I mean) but it seemed like a good idea at the time. The halves did separate easily.

Not sure if you’re asking me, but I screwed the crankcase halves together and taped over the bearing/seal areas. Then powdercoated it as an assembly. I ran an xacto blade around the seam. Not sure I would have had to do that (the blade around the seam I mean) but it seemed like a good idea at the time. The halves did separate easily.

I use old bearings that i cut and knocked the centers out and pushed them in bores too blast and powder
Also a silcone stopper in seal area

All gasket get taped and threaded holes are plugged

7a05accec347a8e72b30d5a4983b2bdc.jpg

0bbdb947613cea37e9817065e4b15b1b.jpg

6b541e5f93ac17bd96a21554019cf3d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone used a red color to match the early 041's? My first saw, still have it. It is definitly red, not a shade of orange. 1968 or earlier.

RAL 3000 fire red.
Wow, nailed it in one!! Thank you so much. I've had folks tell me that Stihl never had a 'red', this saw sure is red. Flipped the air cleaner cover over to get an unweathered surface and that RAL 3000 is SO exact!!
God bless,
Mike Rock

That's the right time for sure. First saw red, then an orange one, then another red, from the dealer. Stock was changing over and he had both on the shelf. In Rapid City.
They changed the cover design a bit too, went from gentle radius edges to the angular one, 69-71 time frame again. Same time we had the heavy chaps the USDA wanted us to wear. They worked well. When you're young and bull strong, they didn't weigh much. Now.......well, they must be getting heavier. Same way my pants seem to shrink with time... Had 28" waist then, now 32-4". :))

My winter cutting pants are green wool with ballistic nylon sewn inserts.
I have the opposite problem used to be 34 waist now 30 used to wear a belt now suspenders.If this keeps up I will have to jump around in the shower to get clean .
Kash

Latest posts

Back