Stihl parts pricing.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've heard time and time again, that Stihl parts can be expensive and can get confusing when trying to obtain the correct price. It's not surprising that the same exact part can vary from dealer to dealer when it comes to price.

I buy my Stihl parts from my local Ace Hardware store. They keep a pretty good supply of the most commonly requested parts on hand. Their pricing leaves a lot to be desired.

I called two days ago for a price on an air filter for my new MS-241 C. I keep an extra air filter on hand for all of my Stihl O P E. I called for a price. The guy on the phone told me that they had two in-stock, and the price was $24.50.

I made a comment about it being made of gold, but said that I would be in the next day (yesterday) to get one. I go in and tell a guy what I need. He gets it and say's it's $12.99. It's the correct filter too. I say great, I'll take it.

This kind of situation has happened to me a handful of times. The good thing, is that the part I need and called on, is always less than what has been quoted to me. Same goes for parts that they have to order in for me.

Of course if I had them order a part and was told one price, and then when it gets in, it's more than what they quoted me, I'd question it.

I'm not sure if the issue is the store or Stihl's parts pricing system. Rarely (if ever) do I have a dedicated Stihl dealer order parts for me. The closet one is over 16 miles away. Ace Hardware is good and they will order any part you need w/o requiring any kind of a deposit. And, they're pretty fast as well. I think they place an order once a week.

I guess I should think of myself as lucky so far, in regards to the prices being lower that what I was quoted.

he sold it to you at cost , was it a new person waiting on you

They (Ace Hardware) have employee turn-over often enough. The guy that sold me the filter looked kind of familiar, but I don't have any idea as to how long he's been employed there.

My wife used to work there several years ago. They have some strange employment requirements. Once you leave, even on good terms, they will not hire you back again.

Suggested retail on Stihl parts is pretty universal domestically. Dealer markup can be all over the map for many reasons..., greed being a main one if they're the only game in town. Some dealers are also just sloppy about keeping their prices current depending on their point of sale software and their relationship with their regional distributor. Hell, one of the dealers in my area only recently went to a computerized system from their index cards and old hard copy pricing material from who knows when.

And Harley -- if you have a recent pdf I'd be interested in an updated version. I'm still rockin' the 2017 list. Most prices seem to be the same for the stuff I typically order through my local dealer but it's nice to be up to date and able to keep em honest!

I'll send you the retail price list for the Ohio region.

I buy most of my parts from this region but live in NC. Stihl dealer price difference is HUGE. I find ACE to be 33-50% OVER local Stihl dealers. I have also found local Stihl dealers selling accessories and such OVER Stihl website MSRP. Go figure.

The telephone can be my best friend when it comes to saving some money. If I need a part, I always call around to get an idea as to what it's gonna cost me. I've saved some serious money over the years doing that.

And, not just Stihl parts either. Most anything that I need.

Amazing. I thought Stihl parts were cheap. We're used to paying more for stuff compared to US pricing, often something that's $20 to you will be £20 to us. So I just looked up a genuine MS241 filter online, and our price is £8.04 or around $10.33.

No great mystery. Those folks are just mixing up their parts, mistaking between the HD filter, and the fleece one.
Might be some selling cheap aftermarket **** in there as well.

Latest posts

Back