Stihl Pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfox

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I see that some guys may be getting good deals on Stihl saws. The few dealers I've been to around here give me the same BS. "Stihl won't let us work with pricing on saws". Is this really true? I would consider buying one if someone would deal.

Hi all,

I see that some guys may be getting good deals on Stihl saws. The few dealers I've been to around here give me the same BS. "Stihl won't let us work with pricing on saws". Is this really true? I would consider buying one if someone would deal.

I don't know all the tricks or facts on this but we have 4 Stihl dealers within 30 minutes of the house and the little crazy guy at one of um always beats the other guys on price. If he can't he'll help you out in other ways. So I don't know how they work out the prices.

For a comparison I was going to get a new 880 Sthil and I got these prices so you tell me
1. $1995 and I had to pay shipping
2. $1785 plus shipping
3. $1575 out the door
So tell me what the deal is. That's a vast difference in range. $420 is a big jump.

I don't know all the tricks or facts on this but we have 4 Stihl dealers within 30 minutes of the house and the little crazy guy at one of um always beats the other guys on price. If he can't he'll help you out in other ways. So I don't know how they work out the prices.

For a comparison I was going to get a new 880 Sthil and I got these prices so you tell me
1. $1995 and I had to pay shipping
2. $1785 plus shipping
3. $1575 out the door
So tell me what the deal is. That's a vast difference in range. $420 is a big jump.

Since when did Stihl start shipping their products directly to people's homes? I was always under the impression that a person had to go directly to the Dealer to pick the product up.

Since when did Stihl start shipping their products directly to people's homes? I was always under the impression that a person had to go directly to the Dealer to pick the product up.

They don't ship direct to you as far as I know.
That was I had to pay the shipping to the dealer and then go pick um up. None of them had one in stock. So they claimed I have to specail order them and pay to have it shipped to them.

Stihl can't "fix" the price on anything or make a dealer sell at a certain price. They can have a "suggested" price and they do advise their dealers to sell at that price, one to keep the profit in the product so the dealers are making some money, and two to try to keep the playing field level among dealers, especially when you have serveral dealers close to each other.
Now Stihl does have multi level discounts for the dealers, depending on volume, the size of your annual booking order and if you are an exclusive Stihl dealer and don't handle any competition brands you get extra discounts. This means a larger dealer buys a little cheaper than a smaller dealer so they have more room in their profit to make a deal. You will run into different dealers who have different opinions on this. I have worked for 2 that were totally opposite. One saw it as, I'll cut the price a little to make the deal because that will get me a return customer and grow my business so therefore I order more and get a better deal from Stihl. The other was, I'm not making much on these as I want so no way am I cutting my price even if I don't make a sale. He never grew his business much and is on his way out. ( I didn't work for him long because of his thinking, or lack of).
Stihl can't keep a dealer from discounting, they don't mind a dealer running sales, or cutting a few deals to get or keep customers, but they do frown on a dealer "blanket" discounting.

My local Stihl dealer was firm on price, no hat, no chain, no mix, no nothing-not even a handshake. Parts pricing for other stuff was high.

Went with Husky from one of the site sponsors Spike60. Backed it up with a Dolmar refurb. Been in plenty of wood since :chainsawguy:, and no problems.

Anywhere in Asheville, you pay full retail plus tax. But take for instance Madsens in Washington State, they have very good prices. Problem is they cannot ship it to ya. Now, there are ways around that as all of us know, but I think it really depends where you live and prolly how big of a business that dealer does. I know I got a 660 from my local very small dealer in Avery County,NC-way back in the sticks....he said he needed to sell a "big saw" for Stihl and I got it for 1000K flat out the door. I guess alot of its luck too..:)

Dealers can sell at any price they want.

My Stihl dealer wont deal, but my Husky guy will. Depends on the independent dealer.

Thanks for the input. I liked the feel of the 362 off the shelf, wanted to actually use one. At full retail it definitely isn't going to be $150 nicer to me than a 6400.

I'm fortunate to have a friend who went to school with our local dealer. He got us a much reduced price on the 362 we got our son last X-mas by making the purchase for us.

There are alot of variables at play when guys post what they got a saw for on here.

-There are 12 Stihl distributors in the US and they have some affect on what the retail pricing is listed at. My favorite example is the MS660, here in the Northeast where they sell relatively few 660's the price is fairly high. They retail at around 1100$ here in NY, but in the PNW they sell many more 660's they retail for around 950$.

-How long the item has been sitting on the shelf, also plays into the willingness to wheel and deal. Surprising we have to pay for these items, Stihl just doesn't give them to us. After 90 days if the item isn't sold we have to start paying interest on the item anywhere from 1.5-2.5% per month. So if a saw sits for 6 months you're losing money on it.

-Customer loyalty. If a guy walks in off the street, never been in the shop before and demands a deal on a saw it's pretty insulting. For window shoppers and phone calls I keep it pretty close to retail price. I do tell them that if they get a better price in writing, that I will beat it. But it needs to be a written quote not " Don over at such and such will give it to me for so and so." But if it's a regular customer who has spent some cash in the place before, it makes me more willing to make a deal.

-Built in profit, plain simple no dealer makes more than 25% on any whole goods. Most of the time we're hovering between 15-20% profit on any whole good.

So that 1000$ saw we make 200$ profit at full mark up. If I give you a case that's 30$, then a six pack of oil 10$, a chain 20$, and then you want 50$ off retail. Then I'm down to 90$ profit, then you put it on a credit card and I lose between 2-4% or 20-40$ for processing fees. So when it's all said and done I might clear 50$ profit on that 1000$ saw sale. That's why dealers stick retail pricing when they can.

All depends on the dealer. My less than local stihl dealer sells both husky and stihl and I also purchase just about everything truck or tractor oriented from them. I give them several thousand dollars of business a year. They will not budge an inch off stihl list price for me. Husky, they have plenty of room to move and do so.
Was just in today picking up a box load of filters and noticed that he had very few huskys left on the display wall. He normally has the full line up to and including the 390xp. I asked him where were all the husky saws? He told me it was firewood season and he just cant keep em in stock. I asked about the new 372x-torx and he told me he got two and they were gone before he put them on the shelf.

Blood...

Thanks for giving the dealers perspective! Good post! Rep sent!

There are alot of variables at play when guys post what they got a saw for on here.

-There are 12 Stihl distributors in the US and they have some affect on what the retail pricing is listed at. My favorite example is the MS660, here in the Northeast where they sell relatively few 660's the price is fairly high. They retail at around 1100$ here in NY, but in the PNW they sell many more 660's they retail for around 950$.

-How long the item has been sitting on the shelf, also plays into the willingness to wheel and deal. Surprising we have to pay for these items, Stihl just doesn't give them to us. After 90 days if the item isn't sold we have to start paying interest on the item anywhere from 1.5-2.5% per month. So if a saw sits for 6 months you're losing money on it.

-Customer loyalty. If a guy walks in off the street, never been in the shop before and demands a deal on a saw it's pretty insulting. For window shoppers and phone calls I keep it pretty close to retail price. I do tell them that if they get a better price in writing, that I will beat it. But it needs to be a written quote not " Don over at such and such will give it to me for so and so." But if it's a regular customer who has spent some cash in the place before, it makes me more willing to make a deal.

-Built in profit, plain simple no dealer makes more than 25% on any whole goods. Most of the time we're hovering between 15-20% profit on any whole good.

So that 1000$ saw we make 200$ profit at full mark up. If I give you a case that's 30$, then a six pack of oil 10$, a chain 20$, and then you want 50$ off retail. Then I'm down to 90$ profit, then you put it on a credit card and I lose between 2-4% or 20-40$ for processing fees. So when it's all said and done I might clear 50$ profit on that 1000$ saw sale. That's why dealers stick retail pricing when they can.

If you have your mind made up on Stihl and you live somewhere in the North East and you have nothing better to do on Monday October 4 2010, head up to the Fryeburg Fair in ME for Woodsman Field Day. They usually have a large tent with just about everything chainsaw you can imagine at rock bottom prices. It is the only time I have ever seen Stihl stuff including saws at large discounts. Good Luck.

I fully agree with the dealer perspective. I sell parts at automotive dealership. The same employees from the Stihl dealer always seem to demand a wholsale discount with me on everything because they work for so and so. But when I would like a little help on one saw, "absolutely not" Stihl won't let us. (I realize this may be out of their control from the owner) I never questioned the price on MS180, and Stihl string trimmer I purchased in the last 6 mos. No frills, no extras, one saw, one bar, one chain, crisp $100s on the counter. Nope $700. 6400 is $550.

Last edited:

Very good post! Most folks don't realize how a retail store operates. Most also think there are huge profit margins. but it isn't so.
:cheers:

I wish we made the margins people think we make, I'd love to knock 100$ off a saw and still make a decent profit.

If you have your mind made up on Stihl and you live somewhere in the North East and you have nothing better to do on Monday October 4 2010, head up to the Fryeburg Fair in ME for Woodsman Field Day. They usually have a large tent with just about everything chainsaw you can imagine at rock bottom prices. It is the only time I have ever seen Stihl stuff including saws at large discounts. Good Luck.

or the deerfield fair this weekend in deerfield nh at least 2 tents set up from stihl and husky some better prices then normal

Latest posts

Back