Stihl problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
:blob2:
OK, I jumped the fence in search of reasonable limbing saw and purchased a used 009 from Ebay. I get this baby UPS and dump some gas in her and oil it up and give her lots and lots of tugs and finally it fires but then it dies. I cleaned the air filter (which was all but plugged with saw dust) but I couldnt keep it running. So I inspected a little closer and found a 2 inch split in the fuel line. Once I started inspecting it one fuel line completely crumbled and the other busted. The problem is the one line is simple to replace but the other looks like it goes into the crankcase and I dont want to take that apart just to fix a fuel line. How much am I looking at to get this thing going do I really have to open it up to get the line? I tried to keep an open mind and try a Stihl and look what happens. :angry:
Please help so I can keep an open mind and give this thing an honest try. thanks

buying a used 009 sight unseen online is not 'keeping an open mind and giving Stihl a try'! For one, the 009 is the cheapest saw Stihl makes. Kinda like saying 'I bought a used Geo Metro sight unseen and it won't stay running! I thought I would keep an open mind and give General Motors a try and look what happens!' If you replace the fuel line you still only have a $60 saw. Thay aren't as hard as they look though. Go for it.

Yeah, Yeah I know. But what I need is what parts are needed, like crankcase seals, etc. Not a lecture. Now I am stuck with the thing (i have contacted the seller and am awaiting a response). I am up for the challenge with a little guidance

Ok, here's the skinny on the two fuel lines.... One fuel line comes directly from the tank to the inlet on the carb. The second line is really the impulse hose. It comes off the bottom of the carb & onto a nipple at the back the crankcase, below the jug. It's pretty easy to replace with a little patience. Use a little oil where the hose needs to go through any holes & eventually seat. A piece of coat hanger, bent into a tight hook, will help with fishing into the fuel tank. The hoses should run about $6 each. Good Luck!

Larry

Yes hog man is correct . For the impulse line or so called air vent line. Take the screw out of saw rubber mount & will give you more room to work with. But......... Huskyman I would count your losses & buy a real Stihl. I would much rather use a dull Hand saw than a 009. Thats not a Stihl. As always its just my oppinion.

Thanks for the input. I am going to piece this together and milk this saw for all it is worth. The thing is I do not want a true tophandle saw, and almost all of the lightweight saws are tophandle now. Know of a conventional style saw that weighs, say, 9 lbs or less? That will be my next purchase. I know Brian likes the Echo 3450, how is that weight wise and does it have any power at all?

The 3450 is the same as the 3400 except they moved the top handle back. I find they have plenty of power and hold up quite well considering how inexpensive they are. The rubber mounts don't hold up well to a lot of forcing, so you have to let the saw do the work and keep the chain sharp. Mid-range torque is better than the 020T in my opinion. with the 020T if the saw bogs in the middle of a cut(wet sawdust clogging the chain or such), you have to pull the saw out and rev it back up to continue cutting. With the echo, it seems to rev back up easier under load. The 009 isn't even worth considering, IMHO (in my humble opinion).

Although I prefer Husqvarna all I really want is a good saw. And a 335 XPT is not in my budget at this time. Also I wanted a lighter saw than the 136.

Huskyman,

I agree with Treeclimber165, the Echo 3450 is a super little saw that weighs only 8 lbs.. The 3450 retails for less than $300 new.

I just replaced my old top-handle Poulan Super 25 with a used Husqvarna 335XPT and I couldn't be happier. The 335 is THE best climbing saw I have ever used. But, for ground work, a rear handle saw is safer.

I have never tried it, but a Stihl 018 might be worth a look as a lightweight rear handle saw.

Hope you get the 009 repaired without too much trouble

Just curious how did you like that little Poulan micro XXV? I know they are not like the modern saws but I still see them fetch a decent price on EBAY and I have seen them mentioned several times in this forum.

Huskyman,

It was a Poulan Super 25DA. This is a similar but different saw from the micro. I mentioned it because, like the Stihl 009, it has a metal, hard-mounted top/rear handle with no vibration isolation.

I liked the Super 25. It would always start easily and ran great. Like most top handle and all older saws, it was loud as #&!!. Mine was actually a Sears Craftsman made by Poulan which, back in the day, had fine customer service and parts. Plus, it was Jonsered Red instead of Poulan's lovely green color. Check out the picture of it.

The Poulan Micro is the saw sold as a Husqvarna 23. I know some people are gonna say this is bad thing Husky did. But actually, those saws ran just fine if they were taken care of.

Poulan Micro

Here is the Poulan Micro in the colors you like!
Like Husqvarna, Sears also sold this saw.

:eek:
I suspected they were the same. My father in law has a 23 compact and it is louder than my 55! It cuts great but is not all that light. It has good power for its size. Didnt Craftsman have a pink one also? By the way you obviously take good care of your equip because that one looks brand new.

A blast from the past

I noticed this old thread from last year and wanted to find out what ever happened to that old 009? (I'm still using the same 3400, every day).

I am wondering the same thing. Is the 009 running. As for the Poulan Micro. I have one of them. We were using it to repair some hog houses. It got put inside one of them when a hotter project came up. A few weeks later we put hogs in the lot and did not realize the saw was in there. A few days later one of the sows had the saw in a mud hole. We wiped it off and the darn thing started. The saw is still around and still runs.

Bill G

I consider the 3450 Echo the best really light weight saw.

I have found on the 009s, if you get the throttle link bent a little from original, or back in the wrong hole, it will not return to idle reliably.

The 009s are fairly durable saws, but they a no fun to work on.

No, I sold that heap. After putting in a new recoil, a new chain tensioner, and a new fuel line, I sold it on eBay for a handsome profit. Even though I dont normally use Stihls, you gotta love the way they hold their value:D

That saw had the smaller (37cc?) motor and it SUCKED. My 33cc Poulan would smoke it. I am sure the 009L would be a little better. I did like the balance of the saw, but that was it.

Here she is

Latest posts

Back