stihl replacement bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben, You have a point there that is more important than many people realize. German goods are very high priced, Japanese maybe even higher.

I don't understand all the workings of monetary exchange rates nor relative inflation rates of different countries. But you don't really have to know that; just look at the prices on American shelves of German and Japanese stuff.

I assume freight and duty are similar, and thus not the prime culprit.

I often wondered if you would turn the same exact saw design loose to Sweden, Germany, Italy and Japan and marked them up the same; how would prices compare on American shelves?

Tony, As you alluded to the exchange rate is a vex on selling Japanese and German goods. Thats why companys like BMW,Stihl, Elux, Mercedes, Honda, Kawasaki, Toyota and Mazda are building production plants in the states. As a side not these plants are usually located in right to work states in the south or in states that give the plants massive tax breaks. Talk about a strange paradox. My grandfather would have died laughing if you had told him that the japs and germans where going to build plants in the US because their labor prices where too high at home.

I recall hearing a couple of years ago something about Germans and 10 month work-years with 13 months of pay...

My little bro' liked it there while in the military.  He said it was almost impossible to do any banking since the ones on base honored American holidays as well as German, the latter of which seemingly occurred a couple times per week.  He particularly liked having the beer man delivering racks of beer to the porch like we used to have done with our milk years ago.

Looks like the thread took a bit of a turn...

Tony,

You spoke about how each company makes bars in many mounts patterns which is of course true. I have one question. Have you ever seen a Stihl branded bar that fit another brand od saw. I have not seen it all but I do not ever rember seeing one. If you would have asked me a few months ago i would also have said that Stihl never made 58 gauge chain but they actually did and may still. On the other end of the spectrum there was a guy selling 58 gauge chains on ebay that he said fit stihl saws. I believe you would have to have a oddball aftermarket bar in order to run 58 on a Stihl. I may be wrong, it happens regularly.

Bill

Bars

Sandvik-Windsor has Oregon beat as far as durability. Oregon doesn't own them. Sandvik-Windsor also has the best replaceable sprocketnose made.

Madsens in Washington State will ship you a bar. These guys really know what they are doing!

Sandvik doesnt exist as a chains aw bar mFG in the US anymore. I believe they still make some harvetor bars. Windsor is owned by some one , but not sandvik. BTW has anyone else noticed that windsor bars are dirt cheap now days?

Latest posts

Back