Stihl saw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally 12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions on saw chain.
I use the 33RSC3 because that is what came on the saw. Is that a pretty good all around chain or is there better cutting chain or does it really make a difference? I have 18" bar .
I really don't understand the differences in the chain.
any thoughts ?

RM is a more forgiving chain.. lasts longer.. may not be as fast in "fast" cutting.. but is good for dirty/etc wood.. the top/side angle on the chesiel teeth is rounded on a RM.. the RSC is "sq" 90 degree angle!

ps: as per many have told me (on the forgiving part)including WINDTHROWN (a logger) and several ranchers around my parts.. the info on the rounded/sq I am giving u!

Last edited:
33RSC is the non safety version of 33RSC3 and will cut much better.
At least better (never tried the RSC3, but it it doesn't really look good with the large rakers and the large ramps) - and if you have some dirty wood, get some RMC as well.....

At least better (never tried the RSC3, but it it doesn't really look good with the large rakers and the large ramps) - and if you have some dirty wood, get some RMC as well.....

RMC is listed in my book as a 20 series chain (.325)

33RM or 33RSC would work the best if you are set on Stihl chains.

I have never used anything other than Stihl chain, I've just stuck with what the saw came with.
Are there after market chains that are as good and perhaps cost less?

I use 33 RSC on both my 290 and 440. Very nice chain I think! I'm sure you will be just as happy with it on your 361.

I have never used anything other than Stihl chain, I've just stuck with what the saw came with.
Are there after market chains that are as good and perhaps cost less?

I have started buying my chains from Baileys (site sponsor)

Their Woodsman Pro chain is made by Carlton and its pretty dang cheap. Requires a little more sharpening - but it's still nice chain. The WP equivalent to 33 stihl is 30 WP.

They also have Oregon chain on there in pre-made loops as well at a good price. You would want their 72 series chain. 72LG or 72LGX is the same as 33RSC.

Then again, you can also have them build a chain for you...

i use 33rsc on all my saws except the top handles and pole saw.

it cuts great and is smooth as glass.i like the RSK but i think it is discontinued.

Honestly, RSC and RSC3 cut pretty close to the same when new. The RSC3 requires a little extra work to file down the rakers once it starts to wear. If you were doing a lot of plunge cutting there might be a bigger difference.

I just picked up 3 - 28" loops RSK so it must still be out there.

That being said, I think RSC is the best choice hands down in clean wood, bucking, felling, or limbing. Dirty wood get some semi-chisel chain.

Honestly, RSC and RSC3 cut pretty close to the same when new. The RSC3 requires a little extra work to file down the rakers once it starts to wear. If you were doing a lot of plunge cutting there might be a bigger difference.

I just picked up 3 - 28" loops RSK so it must still be out there.

That being said, I think RSC is the best choice hands down in clean wood, bucking, felling, or limbing. Dirty wood get some semi-chisel chain.

RSK probably is better than RSC for bore cuts, but the RSC is the allround chain for clean wood.

RSK probably is better than RSC for bore cuts, but the RSC is the allround chain for clean wood.
33RSC Is the best chain by far of all the chain out there.
I buy it in the 100' roll and convert all my saws to use it in clean hardwood. We have tried the other makes and 33RSC is way ahead in cutting speed,lasts longer and stays sharp longer on our saws. IMHO Pioneerguy600

Back