Stihl Silver and Gold Level Techs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The other day I did the Bronze Level test and it was easier than I thought it would be. I was curious what all is covered and is entailed in becoming a Silver or Gold Level tech? I'm asking since everyone else in the shop is also Bronze level.

Last edited:
Silver level when I was around was a week-long class including a hands-on teardown and re-assembly of various pieces of Stihl equipment. The test was diagnosing either a mystery fuel delivery problem or a mystery ignition problem. Lucky me, I got both tests.

Gold level comes when you can sell a new 440 instead of fixing the or being to inept to replace the intake boot on the customers 440 thats on the bench

You might ask Boston Bull, if you do a search I think he posted something about it once.

v/r

Mike

Silver is a 2 day course. Covers a bunch of stuff including 4-mix pulldown etc. Is it worth it? Depends.. the more experience you have, the less useful it is, unless you get paid more.... sure....

A silver tech on staff is one of the requirements for you dealership to get to the next level of discounts.

Gold is a week at VA...

Last edited:
I'm fairly inexperienced, the most I get to do around the shop is basic tune ups, sharpen chain, rebuild carbs etc. I'm mainly the counter guy and once in a while when the mechanics are busy with bigger projects I jump in and help out with easier saws. I'm mainly looking to get the higher certifications as both a resume builder and to help out the owner get into better sales brackets. I was picked mainly because I have the least real responsibilities and most free time.

So what do ya have to do to become a legend....:D
I want a week in VA....do you have to be a tech at a dealership.....invite only?

Gold includes an inspection of your work bench by your sales rep (or taking photos of it for the supervisor of your regional service dept.)...

It has to be painted and spotless...

Yes, only techs from licensed Stihl dealers can be gold technicians.

Kinda figured that,mostly in jest. It would be cool to go to those classes though. Not too much demand for a two stroke in lift trucks and such......guess I'm just a hobbyist then...lol

Gold includes an inspection of your work bench by your sales rep (or taking photos of it for the supervisor of your regional service dept.)...
Wow thats interesting....do they inspect the bench annually? If so, do they warn ya when they are comming to take pictures lol.

It has to be painted and spotless....

Thank god for Photoshop!

Heck, we have Stihl tool display boards, but way too many tools to put up there, so the display boards are stored "somewhere" and the tools are where they should be - in rollaways and the back of the bench tool boxes. Guess I'll never be a gold tech lololol. Not a lot of gold techs out here as few dealers want to pay for a week in VA.

Wow thats interesting....do they inspect the bench annually? If so, do they warn ya when they are comming to take pictures lol.

yeah.. it's a bit pathetic.. Next we'll have to wear white coats and change them if we get a spot of grease/dirt.

Thank god for Photoshop!

Heck, we have Stihl tool display boards, but way too many tools to put up there, so the display boards are stored "somewhere" and the tools are where they should be - in rollaways and the back of the bench tool boxes. Guess I'll never be a gold tech lololol. Not a lot of gold techs out here as few dealers want to pay for a week in VA.

You're GOLD in our eyes Andy.......:rock:

Latest posts

Back