Stihl Silver and Gold Level Techs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife can get me these at her work :) and she's also informed me wally world carries these in a purple color, $5 a box.
The purple color would definately add to the manliness of wearing them ;). In all honesty I think they would be a pretty good idea...but I'd probably buy the all natural flavored ones.

Alot of techs like them,I tried them and they always rip on me,and the blood shows up too easily,makes people nervous for some reason.....Besides the gloves remind me too much of my doctor....:(

I think Andy does know more than a lot of Gold techs I've ran across. There are gold techs out there that have never filed points, never struggled to diagnose a fuel problem on a slide carb FS-80 (old style) trimmer, never had to weld a cracked main shroud on an 075...

Before I went to the gold school I had to clean up a little but also had to recover the workbench. (to make it shine) The class to me was real imformative. I enjoyed the time away and returned with more knowledge. I hope Stihl does not return with a suprise visit to inspect the table. (may need to recover again) I keep all my special tools in a bin and the common tools in a roll around chest. I am interested though what the update or refresher will be. My card expires later this year.

I think Andy does know more than a lot of Gold techs I've ran across. There are gold techs out there that have never filed points, never struggled to diagnose a fuel problem on a slide carb FS-80 (old style) trimmer, never had to weld a cracked main shroud on an 075...

LOLOL... and that's why Stihl is trying to get them though schools!:bang: but... in those schools they'll never do any of those things :bang: ;)

LOLOL... and that's why Stihl is trying to get them though schools!:bang: but... in those schools they'll never do any of those things :bang: ;)

I got a bunch of those old 80s if you want to teach a course Andy.....you can even get replacement carbs again

lolol I don't mind those carbs at all... damn old FS80 just won't die!!! every spring another bunch turn up with 5 year old gas in them.

How many of those $140 carbs do you have? ;)

Last edited:
Around here they ran till the slide bores wore out and there were no replacements back then.

Now there are Chinese replacements......

Maybe that's what Stihl lists for $140 ;)

Who in their right mind (o.k., answered that question..) would put a $140 carb on an FS80?????? $16.95 for a pump diaphragm??? lololol

The one mechanic I work with says it like this "I'm a mechanic, nowhere in there does it say janitor" his bench is always a mess if you can find it, but he's a good mechanic so you can't give him too much grief.

The one mechanic I work with says it like this "I'm a mechanic, nowhere in there does it say janitor" his bench is always a mess if you can find it, but he's a good mechanic so you can't give him too much grief.
I like that, I am not a 'mechanic' by any means, more of a 'putterer', and my benches are often messy, from other's view maybe, but I can find what I need in a sec, heaven forbid any of my clean-freak friends get near anything then it'll take me minutes/hours/go borrow, I'd frishen bury the poor sot.
A good example is my old boat mechanic bud Jim, fully certified Merc tech and one of the best people and mechanics I've ever known. To look at his bench and tool chests you'd think 'Hm, this looks rather Mad Maxish, but he knew where every single thing is, right down to the wee spring or metric nut ya need for your obscure project. It was quite amazing actually, I miss him (he moved off-Island, not dead yet :D ). I think Stihl want a tv type image of what a tech is, it definately ain't the reality. Only solution is in my humble opinion, for someone with a shop, would be to have the 'customers can see this bench' nearest the customer (a show bench?), sort of like the windowed area in the supermarket where ya see a guy or two cutting steaks, lord help yas if you saw what happen before the steak got there :hmm3grin2orange:
Just a wee blather fer the evening.

:cheers: all for the coming weekend (mine starts now as we have 4 day school day *sigh of relief*)

Serge

At first I thought this was humor. Does Stihl really care what a workbench looks like?

If I were Stihl I'd looks at the breadth of parts inventory, new saw displays and satisfaction surveys. Does the consumer even see the techs workbench in the course of conducting normal business??

IMHO the worst Stihl dealers are Elite certified and the best are the ones you can't even find on their website!!

It sounds like German stupidity at it's best.

Yep... We got told they wanted to get rid of the "dirty saw shop" image.. lolol - that IS our image...

True true. It's just like on those shows like "Trucks" and "Horsepower TV" you see these uber clean shops and everything is in their place. Sure there's a few places like that, Boyd Coddington, OCC, etc. that have the $$$ to pay someone to keep everything clean & organized, but in real shops where the dirty work is done, there's always bit of clutter - you might just not be able to see it as the customer ;)

I like the clean work bench idea but Stihl did not like the torn down saws in boxes next to the bench. After every repair I wipe pff the complete bench top and put every tool back in its place. ( I guess its a feddish ) I guess I am a neat freak and I just cant make myself start another work order until I clean the workbench. This has been going on well before the Stihl Gold Program. My small work shop at home is the same way. I cannot sleep at night knowing there is a mess on the table.

attachment.php

This thread can't be real. Man where I work I have no choice but to keep it clean, thats golden rule No.1. I reckon if you worked for yourself you could get away with a dirty shop but here its keep it clean or find another job and that goes for every department, and we got 14 acres to keep clean, not just the shop. My two cents, back to buffing.

Latest posts

Back