Stihl tell-tale aging techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The model numbers flipped in '02 for all models, right? (044 became 440)

Was there a particular year when they stopped using rivets to attached the model badge?

Any other easy/obvious ways to estimate age?

Compression releases- My 044 was an early model without compression release and with metal riveted tags.

And the ones you mentioned are also indicators.

Another Stihl age your saw type question.

What time frame did they change from the Flat
gas & oil caps to the taller caps?

Another Stihl age your saw type question.

What time frame did they change from the Flat
gas & oil caps to the taller caps?

I assume that you mean two different sizes of the screw on caps? I hadn't noticed a difference; maybe I haven't got to play with enough older saws. How about the change from the treaded caps to the flip-top ones?

I assume that you mean two different sizes of the screw on caps? I hadn't noticed a difference; maybe I haven't got to play with enough older women. How about the change from the underwire
to the wonderbra?

Actually, the transition of the model numbers was sporadic, depending
on the model, how fast the parts/saws were moving, etc....

The MS310 was out for quite a while, before the 029, 039 joined the club.
Post the serial number, one of us could run the number, and give you an age....

If it has the Stihl logo with the word Stihl printed on a saw blade cutting through a log you know it's old! Also, if theres an AV in the model #.

I assume that you mean two different sizes of the screw on caps? I hadn't noticed a difference; maybe I haven't got to play with enough older saws. How about the change from the treaded caps to the flip-top ones?

Threaded --> Flip Top gas/ bar oil caps happened at the same time as the 021 to MS210 name switch.

Threaded --> Flip Top gas/ bar oil caps happened at the same time as the 021 to MS210 name switch.

Yup. That happened with all the saws except the 660.

And maybe some small ones too. I don't know much about the non-pro saws to be honest.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back