Stihl Value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 1977, my father bought one. At that time, it was $400.00 brand-new. I went in halves with him on it.

It's now in the possession of my good for nothing adult nephew. And he doesn't even use chainsaws. I'd like to think the day might come that I get my hands on it. I ain't holding my breath though............:nofunny:

Sounds like it's time for a re-acquisition op [emoji57]. Let me know when to gear up...

Yeah, there are some "family issues" that have not yet been resolved.

I think he's in his late 20's now. The last two years of my father's life, my nephew wasn't around. My father would ask me where "Rob" was, and why hadn't he hadn't been over, and all that I could say was that I didn't know.

Come to find out, my nephew was in drug rehab. Not sure if it was voluntary or court-mandated. Anyways, my father passed w/o the chance of seeing his grand-son one last time. :mad:

Yeah, I'm not even sure that my nephew still has it. His father, my youngest brother, passed away in Jan. of 2010. My youngest brother had a habit of borrowing stuff and not returning it. That's how my nephew came to be in possession of the saw.

My youngest brother owned and ran his own landscaping business. He borrowed the saw from our father and didn't return it before he passed.

Anyways, I would like to have it back and restore it as best I could. My nephew and I aren't on a talking basis. His mother (my SIL) is a total *****. That just makes matters worse. We don't talk either, obviously.

Probably best if I just write it off as gone and move on.

Yeh unfortunately. I'm thinking a search warrant and some door kicking. Just to keep things legal of course.

Sometimes, life just sucks. It can't be explained away any other way.

I do have a middle brother, who is still on speaking terms to some degree with our nephew. I haven't approached him about the saw yet, but maybe that's an option?

He does owe me several favors. ;)

I would go for it. Just have him feel it out. Maybe have your brother hold a little cash offer in front of him. He may just figure it's an old saw and get those dollar signs in his eyes for $40 you never know

For me, it's NOT about any monetary value. It belonged to my father and I was one-half owner. It's sentimental at this point.

Problem is, my middle brother lives in OR. and I live in AZ. The saw (if my nephew still has it) lives in WA. state. Now that both of my parents have passed, my wife and I no longer have any reason to go to WA. My brother still has friends there, but he has no plans to go back anytime soon.

My wife and I are planning to go to MT. the last week in Sept. to visit with her aging mother and her older sister. From where we will be in MT., it's about a 6 hr. drive to where we would have to go in Spokane. I would gladly make that trip, if my nephew said that he still had the saw, and was willing to return it to me.

That's under a best case scenario. I just don't see that happening. Before we do head to MT., I will speak to my brother and see if he feels a call to our nephew might work out somehow.

I would personally pay 800.00 for a mint one with a original bar and chain. Not sure if I would pay 400 for the one the OP was looking at. Condition is everything and even though it's a really clean saw I would pay double that for a nicer one. For example a nib I would probably go a 1000.00 if not a little more.

For me, it's NOT about any monetary value. It belonged to my father and I was one-half owner. It's sentimental at this point.

Problem is, my middle brother lives in OR. and I live in AZ. The saw (if my nephew still has it) lives in WA. state. Now that both of my parents have passed, my wife and I no longer have any reason to go to WA. My brother still has friends there, but he has no plans to go back anytime soon.

My wife and I are planning to go to MT. the last week in Sept. to visit with her aging mother and her older sister. From where we will be in MT., it's about a 6 hr. drive to where we would have to go in Spokane. I would gladly make that trip, if my nephew said that he still had the saw, and was willing to return it to me.

That's under a best case scenario. I just don't see that happening. Before we do head to MT., I will speak to my brother and see if he feels a call to our nephew might work out somehow.

Now I'm all about this. I wanna know what comes about

And yes going back to the OP original thing...it's all about condition....anddd the buyer, what someone is willing to pay to have one

Latest posts

Back