stihl vs oregon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl chain is a little harder and lasts a little longer for me. I'll run stihl if it isn't more than 20% more than stihl. I usually buy by the roll and then sell off so I don't have a roll laying around for a year or longer. Oregon makes better chain for racing to me anyway. The stihl is hard on files.

I use both Oregon and Stihl chain, and in my experience the Stihl holds an edge a little longer when they are both new. After a sharpening or two it is hard to tell a difference. As for the bars in my opinion the Stihl bars are better. I bought a 28'' Oregon Power Match and I can tell you that it isn't as hard as the Stihl bars and the oiler holes are tiny and get clogged easily. I drilled out the oiler holes and it is fine now, but it does require dressing more often. I bought a 20'' Windsor bar for my 441 and it is holding up really well so far. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Baileys no longer has Windsor bars the Carlton Speed Tip that's in the catalog now looks like a re branded Windsor though.

Windsor is no more. Those carlton bars are supposed to be exactly the same according to Grand Dog. Very good bars.

Stihl bars will last longer than oregon, and so will the chain, but the stuff is so stupid expensive here that I won't buy it. You can sometimes get very nice bars for cheap from Baileys if the shipping don't kill ya.

stihl is very good chain and i will go out of my way to get it but i just recieved 2 oregon chains for my 346xp that the company claims is the best cutting chain made today. not real sure what it means but he said something like it is a 72 chain, some kind of designation so i put it on the other day and made about 10 cuts to try it out and so far it seems very good. i'll give it a work out this weekend and try to remember to repost my findings.

Oregon tips have a reputation here for not lasting nearly as long as stihl ones.
At least there's only one rivet to punch when they go though..

stihl is very good chain and i will go out of my way to get it but i just recieved 2 oregon chains for my 346xp that the company claims is the best cutting chain made today. not real sure what it means but he said something like it is a 72 chain, some kind of designation so i put it on the other day and made about 10 cuts to try it out and so far it seems very good. i'll give it a work out this weekend and try to remember to repost my findings.

Likely just a full chisel chain, which will cut better than simi chisel.

Likely 72LPX, if he is with his right mind - but square chisel can of course be even faster....

Mostly a rumor from back in the days, I believe - lots of those around.....:givebeer:

No, not a rumor, just an observation passed on by several guys working in the bush. In some cases a Stihl tip will last 6-7 weeks compared with the 2-4 weeks an Orgeon tip will hold out for.
Because of this its always surprised me that Cannon use oregon tips, with better alternatives out there

Can't say as though I've ever had to remove a link from an Oregon chain throughout its life. Interesting you have to every time.

A couple of years back the guy that used to service the chains for a local to me logging company was taken ill, & i was asked if I would do the job for a few weeks until he recovered, the few week stretched to 10 months [ in that time I was sharpening, making up new loops etc with their supplied chain ] it was all Oregon, in that time I was never asked to remove any links due to the chain stretching, & the fellers/fallers really worked their kit hard. I don`t know if it was a factor in the chain life, but commercial logging in our region are required to use bio chain oil, the stuff they used was Oregon Arborol, mixed 4parts water to 1 part oil

Just my personal experiance, but I've used Stihl, Oregon, Carlton, and some others. Stihl chain here is just slightly more expensive than Oregon, and Carlton more expensive than Stihl (mainly because it isn't locally available and I have to have it shipped). That being said, I will buy chain in order of the best performing, and longest life in this order..
Stihl
Carlton
Oregon

As for bars, I prefer the Stihl bars over the Oregon as they do seem to last longer, and have to be dressed much less frequently, but they are WAY more expensive here.

If it makes people feel better I have had to regularly remove links from stretched Stihl chain brought to me by farmers etc (90% of people in my area run Stihl saws as the dealers near have a monopoly).
This has absolutely nothing to do with the chain quality but everything to do with people that flog the guts out of a blunt chain and turn their oilers all the way down to save 5 cents on bar oil. These guys also have massive bar wear, on one side, and have absolutely no idea on saw maintenance or chain sharpening.

The only time I have had to remove links from any of my well maintained chains is when I've spun them up 1DL too long and haven't left enough bar adjustment :(

All chains stretch excessively when abused, regardless of the brand. My father in law is a classic. I have had to remove 2DL from a 66DL 3/8" Stihl RMC chain with cutters still at 80% (on a number of his chains - this is not a one off). If it doesn't cut he just pushes harder instead of sharpening it and he always runs the old 029's oiler in drought mode. Getting tight with the oil is actually counter productive as chain and bar wear goes through the roof. Oil is cheap - bars, sprockets, and chains are not.

In my experience if cutting dirty hardwood Stihl's semi chisel will outlast Oregon. In full chisel I do like Oregon's LGX but prefer Stihl's RSC - both are good chains.
One thing I will say about Stihl chain though is that it ALWAYS oozes European quality straight out of the box.

Last edited:
I always have found Stihl chain to stay sharp just a bit longer. So although the chain costs more here at my dealer, I will take the time saved by less sharpening.

I use stihl and Oregon chains and I'll have to say Oregon does make a fine chain. I get the Oregon from a saw shop I don't know if that makes a difference.

This is one of those things where if you have to ask then clearly your level/frequency/intensity of saw use is such that either will work fine for your needs.

There are crappy aftermarket bars and chains, but if you stick with the pro-level goods from the big names, they will all get the job done. Some bars are more flexible than others, with harder or softer rails, and weigh more or less than another brand's bar of the same length. These aren't good/bad sort of comparisions, they're just different. One guy might want a heavy, hard Cannon bar, and another prefers a softer and lighter Oregon bar for his needs. Same with chains - a guy who hand-files all his chains might prefer the softer cutters from Oregon because they're easier to file, or he might prefer the harder ones from Stihl because they hold an edge a bit longer. It's about having choices in the marketplace, that's all.

MCW's answer also adds some really good points!!

I think that the Stihl chains last a lot longer and so do the Stihl bars. I think the Oregon bars seem to warp after a while of hard use on them.

I use both Stihl and Oregon bars and chains. However I run both Stihl Light Weight and Oregon Reduced weight bars. They are so nice when packing a saw around cutting for 6hrs a day. Chain wise? As long as it holds a good edge and pulls good curls. I could really care less if its Stihl or Oregon. Hell I even have some Windsor chains somewhere that are still new.

This is one of those things where if you have to ask then clearly your level/frequency/intensity of saw use is such that either will work fine for your needs.

There are crappy aftermarket bars and chains, but if you stick with the pro-level goods from the big names, they will all get the job done. Some bars are more flexible than others, with harder or softer rails, and weigh more or less than another brand's bar of the same length. These aren't good/bad sort of comparisions, they're just different. One guy might want a heavy, hard Cannon bar, and another prefers a softer and lighter Oregon bar for his needs. Same with chains - a guy who hand-files all his chains might prefer the softer cutters from Oregon because they're easier to file, or he might prefer the harder ones from Stihl because they hold an edge a bit longer. It's about having choices in the marketplace, that's all.

MCW's answer also adds some really good points!!

Very well said! :msp_biggrin:

I believe the Stihl bars are a bit harder and last a bit longer, but I take advantage of opportunity so when a very good deal is at hand I will buy either, same with chain. I do believe Stihl RM is a more refined and faster cutting then the other semi chisel chains though and don't mind spending a couple more bucks for it. I think Oregon put some chain out in the past, that stretched more then Stihl, but the later Oregon chain I think is better and more comparable to Stihl in full chisel. There is some other good brands out there to, some of which slip in some lower grade bars also in their lineup. Couple years ago I bought some GB 16" bars that were very soft, had a groove around the nose in about a day of cutting and I know how to take care of and adjust my chain.

Latest posts

Back