Stihl wont rev

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok dug a little deeper with more knowledge after reading some old threads. i lined up the points at .015" precisely so that the contacts close right at the timing mark on the flywheel.

next i got my dohicky out that lights up with spark, i tried it on my running saw and it lights up orange nicely when i rev the saw. it also does this with my stihl for the first few seconds it revs. it then starts flickering out right when the saw does. i am loosing my ignition.

i replace the condenser with another and it ran the same as before so i know they are rare to go out but i am getting suspect of the coil. (still don't completely trust my new condenser though like mentioned) i will try checking that with the ohm meter next.

were did that condenser come from,if it doesn't have the same microfared rating it will not work.

those old stihl ignitions were pretty damn good,and they hurt like heck too!!!just get the right condenser and I bet that will solve your issue.

You cannot test a point condensor with a ohm meter... Sure you might see a needle flick to show it can hold a charge, or you might even have a fancy model that shows you capacitance, but you cannot test it under load. A points condensor tester applies a few hundred volts to the capacitor and checks for breakdown/leakage.And yes.. you need to use the same mfd...

Same with a coil that fails under load. Your meter will show the correct resistance, but it's only a fraction of a volt so insulation breakdown will not occur.

Last edited:
Back