stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpanseri

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what is the difference between the stihl 360 and 361? i have been on the web site so i know the specs but i was hoping someone might have some usage opinions, please.

Just the displacement - Go on ebay and find yourself a good older stihl, like an 026 or an 028 WB. The new stihls are trash unless you allready know a bit about saws. You cant adjust the carb. There are more articles on here about them, read em.

BSM
The biggest differences between the 360 and 361 whould be the port design and the anti-vibe system. The new Stihls are far from "trash" as you claim. Even the die hard Husky fans like Huskies out of experience and preferance...not because the Stihls are "trash".
And what "bit" of information do you know that would make a Stihl better in your mind barring the fixed jet carb issue.
Curious...if the Huskies are limited in carb tuning due to the limiter caps do you feel they are "trash" also along with Echo & Jreds?
Not looking to piss & moan over this...just curious.

I went to my local stihl dealership a while back, looked at a brand new MS260 - I didnt like it at all. It just doesnt have the quality that my 1990 026 has, that saw was made when stihl was in its prime. I guess its personal preference I guess. I dont want to start up another saw war here so lets please stay on topic.

Originally posted by Max
BSM

Curious...if the Huskies are limited in carb tuning due to the limiter caps do you feel they are "trash" also along with Echo & Jreds?
Not looking to piss & moan over this...just curious.

Max, I hate to say it but it sounds like you don't know a thing about what you are talking about. Limiter caps are defeatable. Pop them off and you have an adjustable carb. Fixed jet, requires carb replacement or Machine work to replace the jet. The 361 is not fixed jet, but is Homeowner quality (my experience its a larger version of the 029/290) and not really a professional grade saw. I hate to say it but all new chainsaws will probably be 4-stoke beasts in order to meet the new EPA requirements within 5 years. So, if you have a saw you like I would suggest stock up on an extra jug and piston, crank seals, etc.....

As far as the 260 goes its a great saw if you replace the carb with the old style WT-426 and open up the muffler.

Was'nt looking to start a "saw war" but rather let gpanseri know the the 360 & 361 are in fact different by a few ways. I was just curious as to why you felt Stihls were "trash" as I almost went for the 361 but opted for the 357xp in the end due to personal preference. Truth be told, I have owned Stihls in the past but not now. My brother has the 260 and 440 which I feel are great saws, and at the end of the day the wood has no idea what sliced through it.

I am stihl very unsure as to what i should put my money into: stihl, husky, jred, echo, or efco?

Troll
I know the differences between a fixed jet carb and one with limiter caps affixed to it.

My point may have not been made clear enough. I'll try again.

I was just trying to point out 2 differences to the 360 vs 361
and find out why BSM felt new Stihls are "trash".

Troll I think you have had your head in the dirt to long if you really believe in your experience the 361 is anything even close to the 290/310/390 glued plastic modular saw design! Not to mention anti vibe sytems, porting, air filters, cutting attachments
and case materials.. plastic vs magnsm..oh my!

Please tell me you were kidding when you stated you felt the 361 was a larger version of the 029/290!

Troll, you were kidding right?

Last edited:
The next saw I buy will be a 346XP, but that may not be in a while, the 026 I got may get ported, and its definatly gonna get the muffler opened up on it. The saw will crank out 14,900 rpm, maybe more, but my dad has used saftey chain on it ever since he got the saw, so we both dont really know how fast it will cut with the opened muffler, new bar, new SHARP chain on it.

Max, well now you know, I just dont like the new stihls, I would rather buy the old ones off of ebay and fix them up than buy a new one. But I might buy a husky before I do all of that.

BSM

Like I said I was just curious. Not looking for bad blood as some others tend to do here. I agree the older ones are very good saws. I have owned an 029 and 020 and had no complaints.
I do not make my living with saws, just like quality tools!
My dad has an 041av from the early 70's and it hangs in there with my 357 on large oak. I made the switch to Huskies recently and have been pretty happy so far. Call me crazy but they sound cool also! (yes i wear hearing protection)
Thanks

Originally posted by BigSawMan
[differences between 360 and 361]Just the displacement - Go on ebay and find yourself a good older stihl, like an 026 or an 028 WB. The new stihls are trash unless you allready know a bit about saws. You cant adjust the carb.
What a steaming pile of horse crap BigSawKid!  You obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about.  Offer a list of the newest Stihl saw models on which you cannot adjust both the high and low jets.  The ones you'll be able to list are all homeowner/occasional-use models save the 260s.

The 028 is a heavy pig; why would anyone want to buy one of those when the newer stuff will outcut it and weighs less?

As for the differences between the 360 and 361, the latter has a smaller, differently designed engine which puts out the same power and will rev a couple grand higher.  It has softer suspension which allows it to run much smoother in hand when out of the cut (for whatever that's worth).  The carb pre-heating system is different in that when the "winter" setting is engaged, there is no more debris thrown into the airbox than during "summer" use.

The MS361 is <i>not</i> a homeowner-quality saw, but is a full-pro model.

Huskys are (without exception?) heavier and higher-priced than their Stihl counterparts.&nbsp; If one wishes to mail-order their saw, then the latter condition may change.&nbsp; Would I dare say Huskys are junk?&nbsp; Hell no!&nbsp; I just don't like them as much as the Stihls.

Glen

Originally posted by bwalker
FWIW the new 260 have adjustable carbs. Atleast the ones up here do.
I love it when a rumor pans out.

Glen

It is an ODD NUMBERED STIHL! Don't that count for somethin'?

Must be the exception to the rule, wouldn't be suprised if there is a MS 441 and 461 next year.
Van

The 036 and 360 (62 cc)are very similar saws with a very few minor detailed changes. Although, the 361 is a new bread of the older 036 that was designed to meet EPA and other regulations. Now my 036 is bonestock, the only changes I have made are the plug (yes they go bad) and a new filter. My 036 is strong and I have even had a few dealers say that it is one of the best 36's they have seen run. Thats because I take care of it.
Now for the 361's.(59cc).. These things rev high, real high. The one I raced for stocksaw at a show improved as it ran but needed way more time on the motor. Also, another big killer of this saw is the exhaust port on the muffler. It's way too small and holds the motor back way too much. I think with a little muffler work and some carb retuning this saw could be a good runner.

But who am I to say anything, I race Husky's and Dolmars with my Stihls....

Later,
Chris

Originally posted by Van
It is an ODD NUMBERED STIHL! Don't that count for somethin'?

Must be the exception to the rule, wouldn't be suprised if there is a MS 441 and 461 next year.
Van
That numbering qualification went out the window when they changed to the new model designations.&nbsp; Even the odd-number saws became evens.&nbsp; The tens digit essentially became the odd-even value, but that went out the window with the 270/280.

The surest way to tell is the color of the rear handle anymore; though that may change sometime too.

I highly doubt there'll ever be a 441.&nbsp; It seems the 044 was part of the 024/044/064/084 series and has been kept around because of the sheer popularity.&nbsp; There was 028/038/?/088, and 026/036/046/066 too.

A 461 seems feasible.&nbsp; I'd like to see a 261, myself.

I'm extremely happy with my 036, too.

Glen

i have an 026 pro, that had the non adjustable carb. never ran worth a ????. put an adjustable 026 carb on it. now it runs as good as any older 026. also have an 036 pro. now a great runner, until i had dozer dan work on it, now it is my favorite saw, and will ???? near cut with my 044. my 066 is a newer saw, and it too was choked off and ran poorly until i put a dual outlet muffler on it, now it runs awesome. i do like the older saws better, but you cant buy a NEW 044 or the like. so buy a new saw and tweak it, or buy an old saw and rebuild it.

BigSawMan, from your previous statements (not to mention your profile) its clear that you have VERY LITTLE first hand saw experinace. You very defenatly don't make a living with one nor do you use one every day. The 361 is a full Pro Saw no doubt and a very smooth runner from the little that I have run one. The ONLY thing that would keep me from buying one is the plastic front handle bar, I really hate those. The 036 is a great saw, I've had two of them and still have one. Oh, and as for the new Stihls being trash, I have to very strongly disagree as I have a two year old ms460 (stock) that I have logged just under a million bdf with that one saw and it still runs strong. I also have a two year old 066 (dennis modded it) that runs very strong and I have cut probably 100,000bdf with it and have had no problems out of it what so ever. Now on the other hand I have a husky 372xpg that had full woods mods that I bought Brand new last october and have had NOTHING but trouble out of. During the 7th tank of fuel through it the bottom end went out and smashed the piston and barrel assembly when it went. I sent it back to the builder and he made it right (fixed it at no cost to me) and the first week I had it back I managed to brake the crank case, top cover and fuel tank but the piston/clylinder and carb were ok so I had it rebuilt. Well 5 or 6 gallons of fuel latter the saw starts running like sh!t, so I send it back. Now so far it seems to be running fine but I don't have but 5 tanks through it so who knows? I also have a 346xp that I've put quite a few hours on that I have had no trouble out of so I don't think its husky. My point is this, that no matter what brand saw you buy sometimes you get a lemon. So you can't judge a brand buy experiance with one saw. That having been said I do have a preferance towards stihl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back