still more salvage mililng

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We've had a lot of rain and the skid trail turned to grease. The 4wd wasn't able to climb the hill to where I milled last time, so I tried another spot a couple hundred yards down the trail, and just barely made it. The picture doesn't do it justice -- it's steeper than it looks.

Notice the singed trees in the background. Some of those singed trees will die and some of them will be blown over by winter storms, so I'll be back here next year.
more_blowdowns.jpg

Getting set up for the 1st cut. The auxilary oiler was used for the first time today, and it did seem to help. I could push the saw a little harder because it wasn't wasting as much energy fighting chain friction.

This particular 20" douglas fir had not been damaged by the slash fire. It was one of many that blew down after the clearcut created a wind corridor. This used to be thick forest that protected the trees from wind, so these trees were not adapted to wind.

After I bucked the tree, the stump stood back up. That happens almost every time with these blowdowns.
setup_1st_cut.jpg

The first pass. Today I was cutting 1" boards that will be used for siding, and I would have preferred to cut a cant, however, the steep, brushy terrain made setting up for a cant difficult, so I chickened out and just cut slabs.
first_pass.jpg

1st 12 foot log all cut up, now I'm cutting the second 12 footer. I ran out of light before I finished it, but I still ended up with a good load of siding.
second_log.jpg

I'll try to make one more trip this year, but I could get snowed or mudded out any day now, and then I won't be able to get back in until May or June.

Great pics and post, wish I could put those on my sawmill. One of the areas I want to salvage, the powers that be had a fit I was using an alaskan. I guess it would be better to let it burn or rot. Idiots.

Kevin

I like the simplicity of your setup. That must be some easy cutting. I am envious

For me the auxillary oiler made a world of difference in hardwoods. I know instantly when the tank is empty. I am pushing alot harder and going nowhere.

Chris

Back