Stolen Splitter-Michigan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was surfing craigslist today and found this ad:

35 TON HUSKY LOG SPLITTER

35 TON HUSKY LOG SPLITTER - $500 (MAYBEE)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-11-10, 2:50PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a35 ton deluxe (self starting) husky brand log splitter. My neighbor, Parrish Bealer ,"barrowed" it. 2 days later he says it was stolen from his house on Tuttle hill rd in Maybee on 10/20/2011. I am offering a $500.00 cash reward for any information leading to its recovery and/or the arrest of the person(s) responsible for this act.
Thanks for looking and I hope this doesn't happen to any of you!
Reply to:
get my splitter back @ yahoo .com ( no spaces craigslist wouldn't allow me to post the email address directly on the ad.)

Kind of sucks, he loaned out the splitter to help a neighbor and it got ripped off! Bummer. I don't know him, found the ad while surfing. I thought I would post it here just in case. You never know what might turn up. My guess is, it is already repainted at least, or parted out to buy more meth! KD

Good luck you guys on finding your equipment.. This is making me think.. I should weld a ring on the bottom side of the main beam of my splitter.. Big enough for a chain and a lock to pass threw so i can lock my splitter to my wood shed.. Then they have to work for it a bit.. Thieves .... They all should be shot..

Good luck you guys on finding your equipment.. This is making me think.. I should weld a ring on the bottom side of the main beam of my splitter.. Big enough for a chain and a lock to pass threw so i can lock my splitter to my wood shed.. Then they have to work for it a bit.. Thieves .... They all should be shot..

Use a really big chain and take one wheel off.

I hate to hear that and hopefully the thieves will be brought to justice. I had stuff stolen twice and suspected my babysitter of not watching my kids before getting a good surveillance system. Good surveillance systems are about the same price as a new saw and are fairly easy to install. I can see what's going on around my house from any computer and even my phone.

I hate to hear that and hopefully the thieves will be brought to justice. I had stuff stolen twice and suspected my babysitter of not watching my kids before getting a good surveillance system. Good surveillance systems are about the same price as a new saw and are fairly easy to install. I can see what's going on around my house from any computer and even my phone.

Been looking to get a good survelence system, do you have a system you would recommend?

Hearing about stolen gear just honks me off. The thieves don't care how much it costs, just as long as they can get their fix...whatever it may be.

As far as securing a splitter, I made a boot for mine. As far as saws go, they are locked in the garage with cable ran thru the handles. I try and take the steps to protect my gear but, if they want it bad enough they will get it

Jeff

I bought all of my stuff from a local company called esentia.They supply the local DEA with all their stuff and tech support is free if you need it. I called a few online places and didn't get the feeling they knew what they were talking about and didn't trust ebay. Anyway, I probably spent a $150 more than I could have bought everything online for but they made sure I had everything I needed to install it and $150 is a small price to pay for stopping a project because you don't have everything you need. All I needed to install everything was a long flex drill bit, drill and fish tape for running the wires.
Tips:
Get the DVR with the longest record time you can afford or back up often. Many of you have had things picked off, only to notice it days or weeks later. I got an Onyx DVR that records and saves data for a LONG time. You can hook it up to your internet connection and view what's going on from anywhere.

The IR illuminators on most of the small cameras aren't powerful enough to illuminate a large area. If you have low light or strong IR illuminators, it makes a world of difference in your night time video. My cameras IR illumintors have a feint red glow at night that thieves recognize and stay away from. I'd rather deter them than have to track down my stuff.

Wired is best.

Here's a link to their website:
DIY

Bailment

I don't want to play Lawyer but I do know what is the law in this case. The guy borrowed your equipment and this is called a bailment.

He is responsible for it while in his care and is to return it in the same condition as he received it. If unable to return it (stolen or ruined) he should replace it .

Nosmo

Huskee 35 Ton Splitter

As a prevention to keep thieves from getting your splitter (35 ton Huskee) you might try this.

Before I made room in my shop to store the splitter I took the tongue couple off the arm so there was no way to drop it down onto a ball hitch. Oh by the way I later changed the couple to 1-7/8" because that is the size ball I use on my trailer's hitch.

Taking a tire or both off should deter them from pulling it away too. Hope you get yours back or the guy will replace it.

Nosmo

Well, lots of good info is coming out of this thread. Hopefully it will prevent some others from getting ripped off.

I stated in the first post, this is not my wood splitter, mine is kept in a garage unless I am using it, then back in the garage when done. I learned that the hard way as a kid growing up in Detroit. If it ain't locked up and secure, it will walk when you least expect it.

This was a craigslist ad I noticed when surfing. I thought I would help the poor guy out an post it here to get the word out. Especially to the michigan members that frequent here. You never know what might come up.

I sent the guy an email letting him know that I posted his info here but have not heard a response from him. Maybe he will get lucky. KD

Last edited:
Last spring I lost 3 5 gal cans of gas from my pole barn and a week later someone took a JD B tractor from our cabin. The funny part is the tranny was frozen on the JD so someone had to come in with a big truck and one heck of a winch. Chains and lock do not work. A chain is easy to cut. I now use cable between the wheels and 3 tough locks on the door of the pole barn. We also hooked up a car horn via a micro switch and a car battery so if anyone opens the door on the barn, the horn goes off.

I hate to admit how much I lost over the past three years..

Latest posts

Back