Stored firewood in garage 2 years...Still wet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I first block my wood into pieces about 50 lbs, and stack it on pallets with plywood covering only the top. This keeps most of the rain off the wood. Two years later, I further split the wood into pieces for my wood boiler, and stack it in my wood sheds (sometime I'll post a picture). This dries the wood so dry, there is no moisture left. Since I have a Tarm boiler that needs really dry wood, I have to make sure it is as dry as possible (or gassification won't happen). If I didn't cover my piles, I would never get the wood dry enough for the boiler.

i figure only the tops of the stacks get rained on, but they get the most sun too. i just pulled a steel homemade pallet from my shed, it been outside for year and a half to 2 years, uncovered, put in machine shed before snow a few weeks ago. I am burning now with no sizzling. None punky, no rot. I thought about tarping splits in winter to keep snow off, but ehh.....it is working now so why change.

20151203_175526_zpsq2o982ic.jpg

I burned some splits of elm last year I had stacked in machine shed for a year and they sizzled, left them by stove for a few weeks and good to go.

Back