Storing chainsaw files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I buy them by the dozen, store them in the original box, and sooner or later, bangin' around in there, the box comes apart or gets wet and the files are all over the place. Has anyone come up with a good solution for storing a couple dozen files? I suppose I could keep only a couple in the box and put the rest in another box or case, but I like to keep all my chainsaw stuff in one place.

One thought I had was taking a foot-long piece of PVC pipe and putting end caps on it, then packing it full of those big drinking straws that you get at Mickey D's or Dunkin Donuts, storing each file in its' own straw. Anyone think that might work? I'm open to ideas...

Also - when do you feel a file has worn out? I feel like I can't get more than three or four sharpenings before a file is crap - that seems like too few. I use Pferd files if that matters.

That sounds like a great idea. Two files banging against each other will soon make both dull.

Do you know the big plastic tubes that welding electrodes come in? Those would probably work well with your straw idea. You might be able to get them for free as well.

Have you thought about buying a box to keep your common tools you need out in the field in? I bought a plano marine dry storage box to keep extra chains, screnches and some other small tools for my chainsaws. On the top of this particular box is a compartment that is perfect for files and this is how I store mine. I also like that it matches my husqvarna orange chainsaw case.

tackle_2099_2129848

http://www.tackledirect.com/plano-xl-dry-marine-box.html

This is one of the places you can get it at, I think I bought mine at a Harbor Freight store for a little cheaper. I know that they also have them at Bass Pro and Cabelas.

Last edited:
One thought I had was taking a foot-long piece of PVC pipe and putting end caps on it, then packing it full of those big drinking straws that you get at Mickey D's or Dunkin Donuts, storing each file in its' own straw. Anyone think that might work?

I think that's a great idea. I've got two sizes of chain files, and I can easily fit a couple pieces of 1 1/2 inch capped PVC in my chainsaw kit (6-gallon bucket with tool skirt). :clap: :clap:

Only 3-4 sharpenings for a file seems a bit light to me, but really almost all my sharpening is a quick touch-up now and then, and that doesn't take as much out of a file. I've got a Save Edge file order coming here pretty soon, and am eager to see if they live up to their really big rep.

I buy them by the dozen, store them in the original box, and sooner or later, bangin' around in there, the box comes apart or gets wet and the files are all over the place. Has anyone come up with a good solution for storing a couple dozen files? I suppose I could keep only a couple in the box and put the rest in another box or case, but I like to keep all my chainsaw stuff in one place.

One thought I had was taking a foot-long piece of PVC pipe and putting end caps on it, then packing it full of those big drinking straws that you get at Mickey D's or Dunkin Donuts, storing each file in its' own straw. Anyone think that might work? I'm open to ideas...

Also - when do you feel a file has worn out? I feel like I can't get more than three or four sharpenings before a file is crap - that seems like too few. I use Pferd files if that matters.
I stole a plastic knitting needle case from my other half to keep files in I have 2 types !the end cap pulls off the other has a hinged lifting lid. The files are stored in large drinking straws in the end cap box .The others I used a plastic lining tray from the box that my grand daughters colouring pencils came in.

clear plastic drinking straws work well, in the original box.
Pieces of clear vinyl tubing, a dab of shoe goop or silicone in one end to seal them, then stack a bunch of the tubing pieces like cordwood and run soem duct tape around them.

For files in holders, larger piece of clear vinyl tubing about 1-1 1/4 id, slit full length down the side workis well. I have a bunch of those shock corded vertically along the sides of my saw stuff box. Poke the file & holder down from the top vertically into the plastic tubing.

rattling files around in a box is like running a chain into dirt. Instant loss of the fine edge. Still works, but not very well.

SaveEdge files are awesome. Best value going I think for life divided by cost.

kcj

Save edge are awesome files. They will resharpen them for you also. I think you have to have a run of 25 or so for them to do it. I've been reusing the little plastic case that holds 3 files that the gb files came in.

I will echo the other claims made for the save edge files. They are the BOMB!

I will say that other than the 2 china made home chepot files i once bought in a pinch, the pferd files are runners up for short service life. They also seem to load up.

I find using lighter pressure and also cleaning the file or tapping it out to get some of the filings out and away from the cut file teeth actually helps prolong life.

Try something other than the Pferd.

To prevent the files in use from getting dull I store them like this:

filetaske08web.jpg

filetaske09web.jpg

filetaske07web.jpg

I wrap mine in fabric. Put a file in, one wrap, put another file in, one wrap around the two etc etc. Rubber band to hold them together and all is good.

For my chain files I keep them in a piece of 1/4" copper tubing with one end crimped shut. Larger files are stored in a piece of heater hose. Works good for me and saves the files!

Latest posts

Back