Storing log length firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy_jsg

Reaction score
I recently cleared some land and I'm planning on cutting 8' length logs from the down timber. I plan to store the logs off the ground and covered with a tarp for 3 to 4 years until I can get around to cut/split/stack. Is this an okay idea? Will any rot issues develop from storing high moisture content log lengths without cutting and splitting?

I did that very thing about 5 years ago, i stacked on treated 6x6 and it was oak logs 16-20" diameter, the bark and sap wood got punky and had beetles, the inside was fine, I did eventually split and stack it under cover and I will finish burning the last of it this year it made some fine firewood, it did take about 2 years to get dry after it was split. I was amazed how much moisture was in it when I split it, but I did not have it covered.

for firewood it would be much better with the bark off, or at least cut to round sized then stacked for splitting later. not perfect, but better.

I have cut up older logs and it is never the same as fresh cut and processed. Not that you won't get wood to burn, you will, but right under the bark gets punky and full of nasty bugs and bug crap and molds, etc.

BUT..if that is what ya gotta do, it is way better than stacking air!!

Score the bark with the chainsaw down the length of the log so the moisture in the layer under the bark has somewhere to go... or you can peel off a 1-2 inch strip but chainsaw will be easier.. And only do this with logs that are healthy.. if there are ants/beetle larvae/worms or fungus rot already in the log it won't go away fast enough

I plan on doing the same thing, only not as long as you plan. I will store the logs off the ground, but I am not covering it with a tarp. I would think that will trap moisture and speed up the rot process.

Most of us here have stored logs or bucked firewood for some time until we can split it.
The trick is to keep it off the ground and air flow around it to reduce rot and insects.
Carpenter ants and beetles love when wood is touching the ground and wet. As well fungus and moulds grow good when wood is under tarps.
I've tried tarps to keep wood fairly dry during rain and winter snow and it seems to only make mould and rot the wood faster.
Now all I do is cut to length and stack the rounds off the ground on some old pine branches until I get to splitting and stacking.
If the bark falls off then all the better for burning in my wood stove.
But don't leave the lost bark on the ground either. Bugs love that too. Just burn it in a fire pit if you have one or haul it away from the house.
No one likes seeing a carpenter ant on the kitchen counter. Especially my wife.

Last summer I was given several cord of wood that had been stored on pallets off the ground and tarped for about 4 years. Out of about 8 I managed to get 3 that was worth burning. Most of this was less than 6" diameter and a high percentage was Gray Birch. I store on pallets set on concrete blocks with plywood or metal roofing on the top and overhanging the pile and I'll score or remove bark on several species. I also rake the leaves away from the woodpile in the spring so the soil dries much faster. And so the pallets don't rot.

A lot of it depends on the species of wood. I stack logs in piles all the time. I leave them uncovered and have found 2 years is about the limit for most types of wood.

I cut a lot of western juniper, 50 to 75 cord a year. I am falling trees now for next year. I just fall the trees and leave them, the limbs (juniper has lots of them) hold the stem off the ground. I skid with most of the limbs on to hold the butts out of the rocks (lol we have lots of rocks), limb in the landing and cut the rounds.

A nice trick to get as much moisture out of a tree as possible is to fell the tree in summer and leave all the branches/leaves on. They will start wicking away the stored water in the trunk in a few hot days. As soon as all the leaves are dry you are good to go and cut up the rest.
Personally I try to split every trunk at least once.

Even stored off the ground your logs may subject to attack by bugs, termites and so forth. If you could store them in a closed barn it would prob'ly work out.

Long term storage outdoors is bad for logs, even if they're covered.

My experience with indoor storing of fresh logs is not that good. It would have to be very well ventilated.

Like I said I store them on the hillside where they fall, lol when you burn the firewood it kills the bugs. If I was cutting saw logs it would be a different story, they would go straight to the mill. And a bug don't really care if it is in log, tree or firewood size.

It depends on when they are cut. If you cut them when the sap is down they will be just fine if they are off the ground. If you cut them with the sap up the will rot from the inside out in a few years.

Scott

That is true Scott, but the trees I cut will be burnt within 10 to 14 months. So they aren't going to rot by then. I also cut standing bug killed lodgepole up about 32'' on the butt. Some of it has rot in it. I mark my log and cut back to the rot, the pine goes straight to the buyer. I do not store it, cut on order only.

Back