Storing/ Running spare saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t “run them fry” but I do empty fuel and oil from the tanks to keep them from leaking all over the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use e-free gas you way safer storing with gas in the tank for months. JMO. I o use a tad but of Amsoil Quick Shot”. Not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better.

If i dont get to using all my saws i try to start them and get them to full operating temp 1X a month..... “try” is the key word.

YMMV

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231] 🛻

If I plan not to use a saw for more than a month, I dump the fuel into the lawnmower and run the saw dry. Other than that, I don't worry about them. So far, so good.

ETA: I don't ever use ethanol-containing gasoline in my small engines if I can avoid it. BTDT and have the carb rebuild kits to prove it!

How often do you run your spare/backup saws ? Do you just store them until you need them or occasionally run them? What's best for older saws?
If you are running E laced gasoline in them its best to drain the tank and then run the carb dry. The E laced gasoline absorbs water from the air and that moisture attacks the aluminum in the carb while the ethanol destroys rubber fuel parts.

I was cutting from September till mud season. I gave each saw a good cleaning, squared the bar, cleaned the bar groove, changed the im if need be, fill the gas and oil and they sat from mud season till the fall. Non ethanol high test fuel.

After these three last storm clean ups everything I have that runs was used to clean up the mess we went through three or four cases of premix.

My 3500 watt Coleman generator sat full of fuel for two years with seafoam in the fuel thank, after a few minutes of being stubborn the fuel cleaned the carb and she ran good again.

I keep about 30 saws in storage year round, when needed i pull one down, gas it up and use it..when i know im done and won't need it a while i crank it..run it briefly, dump the tank, then let it run out. As its drying i hit the choke to pull as much gas in as possible.

I do the same with 7 generators...they always start and run when needed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

If I plan not to use a saw for more than a month, I dump the fuel into the lawnmower and run the saw dry. Other than that, I don't worry about them. So far, so good.

ETA: I don't ever use ethanol-containing gasoline in my small engines if I can avoid it. BTDT and have the carb rebuild kits to prove it!
Thats what I do.

Latest posts

Back