Stove cement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an older parlor stove designed for wood and coal- probably a good 80+ years old. I doubt the manufacturer is still around. They made them pretty well, back in the day! I'd say it was well designed, and built to withstand the higher heat from coal, so it's just age that's finally getting around to this one. Really, I love this stove, and would like to do it up right.

I've got a little 110 wire feed. Perhaps I could weld it myself? Would I need a special wire? I don't know much about welding, being self-taught, but I wouldn't think this would be beyond me with some advice from the older/wiser crowd.

As for burning the fall off from hardwood flooring, I almost posted this pic which I took the same day:

attachment.php

View attachment 222759

I don't know a lot about welding cast, but I've seen it done a few times. I doubt a little "hobby" MIG will do it, every guy I've seen welding cast used a stick welder with special cast rod, and LOTS of pre heating of the pieces to be welded.

Of course, you could preheat the stove from the inside :angry2::angry2::angry2:

Noooooooo

Unfortunately Steve is right.

The wire feed welder you speak of is either set-up for mig or flux core welding which is usually to weld steel with.

You have Cast Iron. Probably one of the hardest metals to weld which requires a lot of skill
with proper equipment.

I usually stick weld cast iron with an "MG" (brand name) Hi Nickle Cast Iron rod.
before this you have to preheat then weld short beads then peen to stress relieve then
post heat treat so the part does not cool down too fast.

It's up to you If you haven't done cast iron welding before I would not practice on your stove.

I would have a good welder look at it and ask him what he thinks about welding it.

Welders, good ones anyways, have a pretty good idea if what you want done is going to work.
They don't want you to come back to have it welded again.

Hope this helps you some. Kap

I just remembered I got a good friend - Wayne, who's got a Masters degree in welding! Only problem is that he doesn't have any equipment. Hmm. I've got a little tiny arc welder also, but I've never used it, and don't know how to use it. (Planned on learning one of these days).

I'm certainly not going to lug that thing over to one of the other welders in town. Maybe I'll just keep trying different products until something stays. I don't really mind the leaks all that much, but it would be nice to have a bit more control.

Holy cow Uncle Mustache that was our very 1st stove!

The 1st 4 pics seemed familiar but that last pic with the child sure brought back some memories. We called it a Franklin stove cause that's what the folks that gave it to us called it.

I would not spend any money on that. Try saturating some refractory cement with some steel wool and it might last you the season.

After about 5 years we retired that stove because very occasionally sparks would fly out of those small holes and freak my wife out. It was nice to see the flames dance threw the isinglass windows with the lights turned down..

Back