Stove Thermometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinch53

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy...does anyone use a stove or furnace thermometer on their stove pipe? If so what kind and how well does it work? If you have time lets here a review..Thanx DW :popcorn:

I just put one on mine two weeks ago. I really don't know where to mount it on the pipe as the instuctions were not good. I know the lower it's mounted the higher the temp. It is made by rutland and it has a burn zone that you're supposed to keep it in. It is too hot when it's in the burn zone. I can't really see any advantage of having it after useing it. Now would i buy another......Probably not. Iv'e burned wood for many years without one and don't see how it helps any.

We have one mounted about 10" above the stove on the Stovepipe.

It says "Sand Hill Wholesale" on it.

It sure isn't very accurate (off by about 50 degrees F) but I do like it for a point of reference.

Now that I have used one for a while, I do prefer it to nothing.

We have one mounted about 10" above the stove on the Stovepipe.

It says "Sand Hill Wholesale" on it.

It sure isn't very accurate (off by about 50 degrees F) but I do like it for a point of reference.

Now that I have used one for a while, I do prefer it to nothing.
Is that where they are supposed to be mounted 10 inches above the stove? Mine had no instructions where to put it. It may make a difference if it's located correctly.

Got mine when I bought my Woodstock Soap Stove about 3 years ago. According to woodstock it is to go on top of the stove and has a range between 250 degrees and 675 degrees that is best to use the catalytic. Probably goes on the stove because it would give a pretty good reading of the catalytic. I also have one of those little fans that run off heat. When it starts to turn the stove is hot enough to go through the catalytic.

I use a temp guage on the pipe. I have heard that it is best at about 18" above the stove top. It is a quick refference to guage the temps from across the room without getting up.

I figured out I hadn't been running mine too cool as I was worried about creosote buildup. I was keeping mine in the 400-450 range pretty consistantly. Sometimes I might get carried away with it and hit the 700 mark but very seldom. Not hard to figure out when they are putting out to much but not as easy to know if you are above the safe zone.

Before the temp guage I used "the water test". Flick a bit of water off the finger tips on the stove pipe. If it hung around at all it was too cool. If it was gone in an instant it was good to go. If it didn't make it to the pipe before evaporating it was too hot.

my fav is a hand held IR thermometer... Raytek mini temp

it tells me how my stove putting out and if it's reached operating temps.
wouldn't operate my wood insert without it.

I use the rutland too. Got 5 all together. Yep its overkill. One on the thimble ( most important one) one on the pipe right above the stove and 3 on the stove top just for comparison. For me its a feel good thing. I assume they are at least repeatable so I am firing consistent.

Is that where they are supposed to be mounted 10 inches above the stove? Mine had no instructions where to put it. It may make a difference if it's located correctly.

I honestly don't know where the politically correct placement of the thermometer needs to be.

I do like it on the stovepipe stack because I believe it is a more accurate indicator of what is going on in the stove on startup.

On start up the fire can really be a raging and the top of the stove isn't hot at all. At least I can draft down when I see the stovepipe thermometer hitting 700 deg. F or so.

Using stove top and stovepipe thermometers together is probably a lot more accurate.

I honestly don't know where the politically correct placement of the thermometer needs to be.

I do like it on the stovepipe stack because I believe it is a more accurate indicator of what is going on in the stove on startup.

On start up the fire can really be a raging and the top of the stove isn't hot at all. At least I can draft down when I see the stovepipe thermometer hitting 700 deg. F or so.

Using stove top and stovepipe thermometers together is probably a lot more accurate.
I have it on the stove pipe but it is about two feet above the stove. Think i'll move it down some and see what kind of reading it gets.

Condor is what I have, it seems to be a good one. They specify mounting it 18" above the stove in the pipe. I also have a separate one on the catalytic convert to know when to shut of the bypass and ignite the catalytic

Funny thing is with my new stove this season (Nashua) I can't get the pipe hot no matter how hot I fire the stove. About 300 degrees is as hot as the pipe will go. Even if the stove top is 700 the pipe is still only 300. Amazing efficiency out of a 30yr old design.

I have a Rutland gauge on my Harman TL300. It's handy for judging when to close the bypass damper and put into downdraft mode. I compared it with a type K thermocouple and amazingly it's very accurate.

Funny thing is with my new stove this season (Nashua) I can't get the pipe hot no matter how hot I fire the stove. About 300 degrees is as hot as the pipe will go. Even if the stove top is 700 the pipe is still only 300. Amazing efficiency out of a 30yr old design.

Is there a 90 degree elbow in the flue pipe close to the stove?

I would be curious to know the temp on the top side of that elbow.

I have one on the stove pipe 10"-12" up and another on the top surface of the stove. I try to keep the one on the pipe at around 300 degrees during the long burn and the one on the surface runs 600-700 degrees. At times if the house cools down too much I just open the air wheels a bit more and let the temps be where they may to get the house warm. Very cold in western Maine.

Is there a 90 degree elbow in the flue pipe close to the stove?

I would be curious to know the temp on the top side of that elbow.
There is a 90 degree elbow adapter from 8-6" right on the back of the stove and the temp I gave was right above that elbow.

My woodstove has a built-in thermometer that gives the catalyst temp. My brother has one of those aftermarket thermometers that sticks onto the stovepipe with a magnet.
They work, but they arent as accurate as the one my woodstove has because they only give you the surface temp of the stovepipe, instead of giving you the catalyst temp.
He has his mounted about 6" above the combustion chamber on the stovepipe.

Back