Strange Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnJr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get my friend's poulan 3800 working and cant get it to run right. When I start it on the ground its ok. As soon as I pick it up it dies. I have tried to pick it up nice and level and also at about half throttle. The second it leaves the ground it starts to die. Maybe its just coincidence but I want to get a gameplan before i get back to it this weekend. Thanks in advance!:cheers:

Some type of carb problem it sounds like.... Stuck float? Check the continuity of the coil wire while wiggling it.

Perhaps an air leak of some sort.

I would think boot or impulse line might be cracked
When you lift the saw it one of the two is flexing admitting more air than when it sits on the ground. Also bad fuel line can do this too.

First I thought puddling but that symptom is change in rpm when saw is tilted in different positions from level.

On another front perhaps an electrical component.
Like a bad kill wire that rubs metal when you lift the saw.
Kind of hard to be sure sight unseen.
Let us know how it turns out.
Good Luck.
-br

Last edited:
Good ideas guys. The kill wire would definitely explain how fast it dies. He got the saw as a bucket of parts after his uncle tried to "fix" something so maybe he didnt pay close attention to things as he was re-assembling.:cheers:

+1 on the kill wire, have an 045 stihl that I got for 35 bucks, because it had that problem. It wouldn't die till you touched to the wood, but still the same possible problem.

Latest posts

Back