Strange thing about Echo CS355T Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I rebuild and sell a lot of chainsaws. I can usually get about $185.00 for a really nice Echo CS330T.
I had a professional arborist trade two CS355T in on a really nice Stihl 200T and one Echo was seized.
He stated he used the same fuel mix as used in other saws and this 355T seized and warranty was denied.
Anyway, after muffler modding and carb work, these little 355T ran just bas good as the Stihl 200t. Really impressed me. They were practically new and in pristine condition.
Strange thing is---I had both Echos listed on CL for over two months with very little interest?
Finally sold each one for $185.00
Just wondering why the won't sell like a 330T/360T

I rebuild and sell a lot of chainsaws. I can usually get about $185.00 for a really nice Echo CS330T.
I had a professional arborist trade two CS355T in on a really nice Stihl 200T and one Echo was seized.
He stated he used the same fuel mix as used in other saws and this 355T seized and warranty was denied.
Anyway, after muffler modding and carb work, these little 355T ran just bas good as the Stihl 200t. Really impressed me. They were practically new and in pristine condition.
Strange thing is---I had both Echos listed on CL for over two months with very little interest?
Finally sold each one for $185.00
Just wondering why the won't sell like a 330T/360T
:popcorn2:

I love my 355t and all my Echo equipment. Great products and good prices. No idea why they get shunned. You may have better luck trying to sell them here.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Chainsaw and power equipment market in general are very "local" and both have been very distorted in the last six-seven years, especially for older saws. Everybody with an Unidentified Basement Special thinks he's holding on to a Stihl Contra G, a McCulloch 125SP or another treasure of the greatest rarity and asks silly amounts of money, which has led to a cascade effect throughout the used market.
Now we are literally drowning in used saws, brushcutters and the like. The near-new prices asked for machines often in dubious conditions have made the glut worse and buyers have become both wary and picky: that "same as new" chainsaw may actually have been butchered in the quest for "performances" or that "rebuilt using genuine spares" cutoff saw may actually feature the cheapest cylinder and piston China can offer. You don't know until you strip it down.

Due to this glut prices have started to come down somewhat in my area, at least for pro-grade equipment. For example when MS200T's and MS460's come up for sale they tend to be considerably cheaper than two or three years ago and sellers tend to be more forthcoming with info. But most people still live in denial, holding on to aspirational pricing and do not ask themselves why I should gamble on a used saw when for a little more money I can have a brand new saw.

Have you listed both a 330/360 and a 355 at the same time and tracked how many page views?

The 330/360 had a lot of new product at reduced price towards the time the 355 came out. That may have tempted folks that might buy a used top handle saw.

Battery saws have moved into this market segment.

I think the mandated medical insurance has created a different mindset in the subset of folks that have to buy it. Something like a new chainsaw vs used one becomes a less significant cost in the grand scheme of things.

I occasionally check in to the local Craiglist for sale farm and garden section. Unless it is something I could use and do not have it is something I already have one of I will click on. Maybe there are folks that have or want spares for their 330/360.

Most of my chainsaws sell within a couple of weeks. I deal mainly with Stihl 200T and sold four this year for close to what they brought a couple of years ago.
So, the market in my area, for these saws, has not changed.
If I was in the market for a top handle chainsaw, I would definitely consider the CS355T but will not try to flip any more.
They just won't sale fast enough for me.
As I stated, after MM and carb work the 355T was very close in performance to the Stihl 200T and that really surprised me.
I think a lot of people just think the 355 is just a newer version of the 330/360
I have worked on a lot of chainsaws over many years and I was really surprised/impressed with the build quality of the 355t, especially with the fact that it has "crankcase stuffers"!
First chainsaw I have seen with these stuffers.

There was a time where there were a lot more pictures of the insides of new saws on this site. That 355 has stuffers and a 1mm longer stroke than the Stihl 200/201 so at least to me the performance you experienced is not surprising. I do not think anyone has posted pictures of any other clamshell design with stuffed crank than the 355 and the rear handle variant.

That auto tune top handle from Husqvarna.(same bore and 2mm longer stroke than the Stihl 200/201)
Husky 357 550 562 576 the new 572. On The Stihl side for the m tromic, not the 241 but I think most of the other ones, not really sure of those as the ipl is not publicly available. I noticed the Husqvarna 53cc forestry clearing saw is strato design stuffed crank.

Most of my chainsaws sell within a couple of weeks. I deal mainly with Stihl 200T and sold four this year for close to what they brought a couple of years ago.
So, the market in my area, for these saws, has not changed.
If I was in the market for a top handle chainsaw, I would definitely consider the CS355T but will not try to flip any more.
They just won't sale fast enough for me.
As I stated, after MM and carb work the 355T was very close in performance to the Stihl 200T and that really surprised me.
I think a lot of people just think the 355 is just a newer version of the 330/360
I have worked on a lot of chainsaws over many years and I was really surprised/impressed with the build quality of the 355t, especially with the fact that it has "crankcase stuffers"!
First chainsaw I have seen with these stuffers.
The 200t is a legend and always in demand(for good reason.) When I was looking, I checked the 201t and 355t. The price swayed me to the Echo and it's much better than I expected. I think it just boils down to brand. Some will never be convinced that Echo saws will hang with the others.

I just picked up a 355 last week. It's got about 5 tanks threw it and still getting stronger.
Same here. This is my first top handle. Impressive little saw. I wasn't sure I'd like a th design but now I look for reasons to fire it up. Great for small wood and limbing. Runs forever on a tank too.

Same here. This is my first top handle. Impressive little saw. I wasn't sure I'd like a th design but now I look for reasons to fire it up. Great for small wood and limbing. Runs forever on a tank too.

Its my first modern top handle I have poulan 2300 and s25. What part of PA are you from I'm about 20 minutes from Gettysburg in Hanover.

Latest posts

Back