Stressed Liquidambar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonmoon

Reaction score
Hello,
We recently had construction and remodeling done on a house we purchased and failed to pay proper attention to a beautiful liquidambar tree. We think soil compaction and lack of water is stressing the tree, although we do see buds forming on branches, and there are many leaves still on the tree. A few branches don't have leaves, but the branches that do have leaves seem to be changing to fall colors a bit early. Our main concern is the black ooze that recently formed on the trunk in several spots. They smell minty and quite nice actually, but we are wondering if this is just sign of the tree being stressed, fungal, or bacterial infection? The spots are increasing in size and new ones are forming as you go up the trunk. Any advice on how to fix, and will these black spots go away? We would hate to lose the tree. I've attached several pictures of the trunk, one from a month ago, and the other from today. It's subtle, but you can see the new black spots forming. I've also attached a picture of the crown.
Thank you

Attachments

• August 22.jpeg
    August 22.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Sept 15.jpeg
    Sept 15.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
Stress is due to construction damage to the roots and the fact that the grade has been changed and the root flare is completely covered.
Air spading to uncover the flare would be the first order of business.
Judging from the pictures the canopy of the tree is declining on the side where most root damage has occurred.
Sweet Gum are tough trees but this does not look good.
I would have an arborist out ASAP.

Thanks Jed. We had an arborist out and they just recommended mulch and deep watering. I just hope that there isn't irreparable damage caused by the change in grade. Not knowing enough about trees, do trees find a way to heal themselves after root damage? It must obviously depend on the situation, but in a case like this where it seems as if part of the canopy still looks somewhat healthy, will the tree adapt to the change in grade and recover? The soil around the tree is very rocky, and I assume that the roots go deep into the ground.

Thanks Jed. We had an arborist out and they just recommended mulch and deep watering. I just hope that there isn't irreparable damage caused by the change in grade. Not knowing enough about trees, do trees find a way to heal themselves after root damage? It must obviously depend on the situation, but in a case like this where it seems as if part of the canopy still looks somewhat healthy, will the tree adapt to the change in grade and recover? The soil around the tree is very rocky, and I assume that the roots go deep into the ground.

Mulch and watering is not going to do anything to get the soil off the root system and flare.
I would call someone else, and make sure they are at the least ISA certified.
Roots do not go deep. They are in the top 12”-18” of soil. If they are buried they can not respire because they are deprived of oxygen and die.

Latest posts

Back