Stripped Hole in Mag. Case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a stripped hole in a non-critical Recoil Cover/Brake Pivot combo fastener. I was thinking Locktite or JB Weld. What would you do? This is something that is taken off, but not real often. It's a Stihl, with metric threads and t27 torx spline drive bolt. Thanks, DW

Timesert, a bit pricey at first but much better fix in mag than a heli coil. I have them in 3 or 4 different saws.

Timesert, in this application you don't need the whole kit. Just drill oversize and epoxy one in the hole. Very inexpensive.

heli coil or a timesert is the only way to fix threads. JB weld is as redneck as it gets and way easier to strip then the already easy to strip magnesium. heli coil is quicker then JB weld and is a permanant fix.

Helicoil if you have enought meat left on the case and if not they make a beefy steel threaded insert. If you work on saws enought this is a very commmon problem so haveing the taps and tools on hand is priceless. The Jb weld thing, may or may not last, depeding on how clean and texured the surface is for the epoxy to bond too.

Latest posts

Back