Case repair suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a old saw I am looking to work on soon. Looks great, but has one bad spot. One of the screw holes that hold the top cover on has been stripped, drilled over sized then that has worn out too. It's a mag case saw and was wondering what would be a good way to repair this? Would it work to fill the cavity with JB Weld then drill and tap for the top cover screw? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I don't think there's a whole lot of pressure on that screw so I don't know any reason you couldn't JB it. Another fix, if there's enough meat there would be to drill and tap it out even bigger and put a big bolt in it and drill and tap the bolt. Where yours is though you can get by with the JB Weld I would think.

I have had success with the inserts that screw into wood as they have a coarse thread & a sort of a socket head that you can use to gently tap in the case the centre is tapped to take a bolt, a dab of epoxy on the outer thread, will hold the insert in position on removing refitting the fastening

Latest posts

Back