struggling to solve issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rub marks like it got hot expanded and marked it up.
the saw runs really well once started and always starts easy cold, if piston is expanded and marked up wouldn't that effect performance when running. I had a new piston in my cart but put it back due to i am almost $200.00 in parts in last 4 weeks.

the saw runs really well once started and always starts easy cold, if piston is expanded and marked up wouldn't that effect performance when running. I had a new piston in my cart but put it back due to i am almost $200.00 in parts in last 4 weeks.
Just look at that so we can eliminate step by step otherwise we are lost. Or just do a compression test.

Friend of mine had a Dolmar 5100 S that did something similar. One tank ran well, shut off the saw to refuel, and no go until cool.
Turns out that saw has a very sensitive carb on it.
I think I found the directions for adjusting it on AS. He hasn't had another issue with it. That might have been 3 years ago or so.
yes i think that is where the problem is/ i let my mothers boyfriend turn H and L screws because he said he was good at tuning saws, i have been struggling since then, previous post mentioned wet spark plug and L screw and i think that is the culprit.

If it runs ideally when first started and operates properly I see no reason to adjust the L screw. It could be the carb. My 066 used to do that, flood really bad on restart. I rebuilt the carb and it's good now.

If it runs ideally when first started and operates properly I see no reason to adjust the L screw. It could be the carb. My 066 used to do that, flood really bad on restart. I rebuilt the carb and it's good now.
thats what is driving me nuts/ i cut up a large locust tree with ease/ shut the saw off to refuel and nothing/ i hope it is not the carb i think they are like $150.00

A carb kit is $10, however I doubt you need one.

If you want to do an experiment, take a small screwdriver and turn your H and L needles clockwise until they seat. Count the turns and write it down. Report back to us. Do night tighten them down...just turn gently until you can feel them bottom out.

A carb kit is $10, however I doubt you need one.

If you want to do an experiment, take a small screwdriver and turn your H and L needles clockwise until they seat. Count the turns and write it down. Report back to us. Do night tighten them down...just turn gently until you can feel them bottom out.
H= 4 turns / L= 3/4

Do you know what a 4-stroking saw sounds like?

Does your saw idle ok? Will it idle for as long as you let it?

Your carburetor apears to be out of tune from the screw positions you indicated.

try one turn out on each.
turned each one out 1 turn/ saw started 1st pull let it idle for a minute shut off/ started 1st pull repeated once more also 1 st pull/ chain is creeping around bar should i just address that with t screw/ i can't put it in the wood right now due to darkness.

turned each one out 1 turn/ saw started 1st pull let it idle for a minute shut off/ started 1st pull repeated once more also 1 st pull/ chain is creeping around bar should i just address that with t screw/ i can't put it in the wood right now due to darkness.
The third one L/A should be turned counter clockwise to adjust that.

Do you know what a 4-stroking saw sounds like?

Does your saw idle ok? Will it idle for as long as you let it?

Your carburetor apears to be out of tune from the screw positions you indicated.
saw does idle well/ there was a point a few weeks ago where it would stall on idle/ but adjustment fixed that but not the starting problem.

Latest posts

Back