Stuck muffler bolt! I need better torx bits... Two down so far.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soak for a few days by periodically applying 50/50 mix of atf/acetone.

Heat and use a manual impact. Start lightly, one hit loose, then tight. Back and forth a few times. Then give her hell backing the screw out. The manual always works better than powered because it applies a downward strike that helps break the rust.

Heat gun and some form of penetrating oil. WD-40 will work. If you don't have a heat gun then run the motor and try removing it while its still hot.

I have a heat gun and a propane torch. But I will have to tear the whole unit down because it is between the fuel tank and crankcase. I have access to it but anything over a wide area will melt plastic.

Well, I got the bolt loose. I switched to a battery with more charge. I kept going back and forth. It gave on about four or fifth switch. I guess leaving it sitting with PB blaster on it helped.

It was the last one! :angry::angry::angry: How did you know?!?

I pulled the muffler and it was a little restrictive, I guess because of noise. I don't have a screw driver that fits the needles. There are two but before I grind out the muffler, I want to make sure that the needles do change the tune. I expect them to but I want to be sure. I can't do too much, this engine is rev limited. The NEEDS tuned cause it is too slow/ too rich and kinda rough. We can fix that!

Well, I got the bolt loose. I switched to a battery with more charge. I kept going back and forth. It gave on about four or fifth switch. I guess leaving it sitting with PB blaster on it helped.

It was the last one! :angry::angry::angry: How did you know?!?

I pulled the muffler and it was a little restrictive, I guess because of noise. I don't have a screw driver that fits the needles. There are two but before I grind out the muffler, I want to make sure that the needles do change the tune. I expect them to but I want to be sure. I can't do too much, this engine is rev limited. The NEEDS tuned cause it is too slow/ too rich and kinda rough. We can fix that!
Just be glad the damn thing didn't snap , maybe replace that one.

If you open up the muffler, that may lean it up a bit. I haven't found a muff mod to make too much of a difference in tune on most saws. Usually needs about 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn richer on the H screw.

Well its 's not a saw. It is a backpack blower... Sorry!

But it needs opened. The exhauat port on the muffler is about a third of the exhaust port on the cylinder. I can't think of any reason for that. Outlet to the deflector is tiny. I don't think I will get more power, just a better running engine.

Latest posts

Back