Stump clearing prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarethVW

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
There is a guy I know that wants to reclaim a field that has been left for 20 to 30 years some trees have sprung up but nothing big. It is more like a field with trees in rather that woods. He has someone taking the trees but needs the stumps ground. The area is about 40 acres. We were thinking $400 an acre. Does that sound even close? He also has woods that he is going to have cleared there are many more trees still most of them are less that 16" would that be double the price? If I get this job I am going to finally be able to upgrade to a newer stump grinder!!

There is a guy I know that wants to reclaim a field that has been left for 20 to 30 years some trees have sprung up but nothing big. It is more like a field with trees in rather that woods. He has someone taking the trees but needs the stumps ground. The area is about 40 acres. We were thinking $400 an acre. Does that sound even close? He also has woods that he is going to have cleared there are many more trees still most of them are less that 16" would that be double the price? If I get this job I am going to finally be able to upgrade to a newer stump grinder!!

Not close at all how many stumps what size?

The stumps are smaller. Like 8" to 16" As for how many it is changes from maybe only 20 to 30 per acre where it is more field, on up to wooded with several hundred smaller stumps per acre.

If you get that at 400 an acre. There's no way you'll get to up grade your stumper. What will be left after paying for the fuel? Seems really low to me.

My buddy who does a lot of grinding around here would charge $125-$150 an hour to do that job. I would only bid that job by the hour. You will uncover a lot more stumps then you think. You could loose your but on a job like that real quick.

Scott

My buddy who does a lot of grinding around here would charge $125-$150 an hour to do that job. I would only bid that job by the hour. You will uncover a lot more stumps then you think. You could loose your but on a job like that real quick.

Scott

I agree. Hourly would be the way to go.

There is NO WAY I would do that job for $400 per acre. That is just too wide open for all kinds of problems. I use a Vermeer SC352. It literally sips diesel fuel at one gallon per hour of machine time. I average $200 per hour with my grinder. I would love to find a job like you are talking about and I would set a price of around $135 -$150 per hour. I can knock out a ton of stumps if I keep new teeth handy. I am in Oklahoma so, in my area, I don't contend with rocks which would cause havoc. I have a $75 minimum to grind stumps. I would love to have a larger machine and I could push that $200 average per hour to $300. Unfortunately, I don't seek work or get enough work to warrant a larger grinder. Another thought about what you are doing ... how deep does the property owner want you to grind?I generally go 6". All of my work is residential. The lowest price I have ever ground stumps for was $30 each but there were thirty on that job. I have only had one man ever quibble over my prices and that was a self proclaimed millionaire. It just seem to me that if you are doing this man's work for $400 per acre, you are doing charity work. You can almost bet that you will miss some in each acre and have to drag your equipment back to the job site. I guess there will always be someone who will take that job for less money. If you don't take it for $400 per acre, the owner may just say he'll leave the stumps. Good luck. You have a lot to think about. Just make sure you and the land owner know EXACTLY what you will do for the money. Will you chase roots? How deep? On and on.

Are you kidding me? I can't believe I'm even replying to this. Just trying to find the stumps in a acre is gonna take some time. Even if you are using a larger self propelled machine thats gonna take some time to move to the stumps. I was going to write a bunch more but I can't. You know you should take the job and maybe use a 10hp blue bird or better yet use a Vermeer 252. You will probably get most of those 20 stumps done in a day if you can find them and don't have to back track to much caused you missed one or two. Good luck when you get into the hundreds of stumps per acre. I'm speechless:dizzy:

Are you kidding me? I can't believe I'm even replying to this. Just trying to find the stumps in a acre is gonna take some time. Even if you are using a larger self propelled machine thats gonna take some time to move to the stumps. I was going to write a bunch more but I can't. You know you should take the job and maybe use a 10hp blue bird or better yet use a Vermeer 252. You will probably get most of those 20 stumps done in a day if you can find them and don't have to back track to much caused you missed one or two. Good luck when you get into the hundreds of stumps per acre. I'm speechless:dizzy:

Obviously you didn't read the OP's post very carefully. It's a field with some tree's in it. Not hundreds per acre. I agree $400 is low but you should read the post and maybe find out a bit more before making a comment like that. In NE Ohio an old field like that usually is going to be mostly ash and red maple. Field was open 20-30 years ago. He mentioned 8-16'' stumps. Not sure what kind of stumper you have but mine will grind a hell of a lot more than 20 stumps per day from trees like that. Actual grinding time/stump is gonna be about 2-5 min. I'm in the same region and there's not a snowballs chance in hell that anybody around here is gonna get $200/hr and highly unlikely to get $150/hr. for that job.

Bear Creek
I would say you did not read his post all that well. He said "GarethVW: The stumps are smaller. Like 8" to 16" As for how many it is changes from maybe only 20 to 30 per acre where it is more field, on up to wooded with several hundred smaller stumps per acre. "

Yes I am well aware of different size grinders as we have grinders that can do well over 1000 10" stumps in a day if there all lined up. If we have to go searching for them your production is going to go way down. But then for our large grinders we want to be paid for what they are worth. As far as what grinder he plans to use I have no clue but when he says he wants to get a newer grinder from the profits I can only assume it is not a large machine. No where in my post do I say 150.00 to 200.00 per hour. We do not hire our machines out per hour but rather price by the job. Most people(customers) when they hear an hourly rate like that do not know the difference between a large and small machine and will not hire you at that rate.

Latest posts

Back