stump grinder purchase???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

76gmc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am looking to get into stump grinding part time. does anyone have any advice on what to buy? i need a machine that weighs less then a ton. belt,hydraulic? gas,diesel? i also have been looking at walk behind skid steers, they look bit cumbersome. any thoughts on those units?

Go cheap. You don't have enough business to pay for a big one, and you don't know the business well enough to invest a lot.

Consider getting into an Alpine magnum, then pay for more and better equipment when you are making money at it. They can do anything a big machine can, and they will literally go anywhere a tree can leave a stump. On the other hand, you will earn your money with every stump you grind. They do best on smaller stumps.

Stump grinding is a weird business, most tree companies do it themselves and only sub out the nasty work. Some realize a good sub can do the work cheaper and better than they can without tying up their own crew to do it. Having a good machine that can get anywhere on hand and not having to worry about saving up enough work to rent one is a great asset. Of course making payments on a machine that is sitting idle is no fun either. Really need to make some inquiry to local companies and feel around for what they are looking for. Last thing you want to do is make them feel like you will take away their revenue stream by stealing their work. In my area, show up and do the job as asked when you say you will is gold. Good luck.

I just started a small business also. I paid 20,000 for a Rayco 1635 Jr. With a trailer. It's a great little machine. Great for residential work

I bought a 2005 Rayco1625 sjr A with a trailer for $2500 last year. Very solild machine. There is deals out there just gotta be patient. First picture is what it looked like when i bought it, second picture is what it looked like when i re painted it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back