Stump has me stumped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So since he cut to keep the flare on the stump( maybe) then would he not have to clean up the butt? If so then it was pointless and he could have left a step for saftey and not flat with holding wood.
Why such an exaggerated undercut? the opening is huge, way over a one to one ratio, 1-1 would be something you would do on a Swanson or Pie/birds mouth.
1/2 to 1 would give you a 3" opening at 45% with a 6" depth. This guys just under 70% I'd bet. But yet he's about cutting in the duff. Not making a lot of sense to me?
Hes trying to leave the waste on the stump so he doesn't have to clean the butt and maybe got a little lazy with it. Besides, some mills don't mind a little snipe. The wide open face and boring from both sides is indicitive of GOL cutting stlye. I've seen where guys scratch a nearly 90 degree piece out and call it a 'notch'. The problem with this cutting style is that it assumes too much and doesn't teach the mechanics of control. This is pretty typical in hardwood logging. I don't cut that way, but a good portion does.

Hes trying to leave the waste on the stump so he doesn't have to clean the butt and maybe got a little lazy with it. Besides, some mills don't mind a little snipe. The wide open face and boring from both sides is indicitive of GOL cutting stlye. I've seen where guys scratch a nearly 90 degree piece out and call it a 'notch'. The problem with this cutting style is that it assumes too much and doesn't teach the mechanics of control. This is pretty typical in hardwood logging. I don't cut that way, but a good portion does.

Yup. It's the old "if I make a big enough notch the tree will absolutely go where I want it to" school of thought.
Too bad it doesn't always work that way.

Guess this is a double dogtooth? What purpose is served here? Near as I can tell the lay was parallel to the hinge in the direction of the cameraView attachment 415535 View attachment 415536

well, youth turkey season opened here yesterday. Called in a couple birds for the grandson near there and then walked over and looked at that stump. As many said, the pc of the right is loose and has apparently just been sitting there for 5 yrs. Why anyone would put it back baffles me but apparently they did! Fall makes perfect sense now but it sure baffled me before. I think these guys were black belt dutchman cutters

90°...may work on a carrot tree lol
Its so much slower too. The only advantage is they can see the inside of the undercut. I would take a knee or bend and look.
Thanks for that.

Yup. It's the old "if I make a big enough notch the tree will absolutely go where I want it to" school of thought.
Too bad it doesn't always work that way.
And if you marry up your cuts and and its facing a bit down the hill then how do you get a sailing Dutch to stick to boot it back up into lay.....lol

Lol....I seen that on a vid,he didn't have to
Bend down and look Inside
Maybe I'll start doing that...lol
Could you imagine in big wood?
You'd fuel out, not to mention it would be 300lb heavier. the only time thats done is
doing a westcoast Swanson; taking a steep angle out of the front of your Humboldt,
thats a bItçh!

They bored it from both sides with a short bar. The taller piece is loose and the face(notch in this case). Maybe it had the stump mark on it and they had to put it back. Cutting the trigger at an angle leaves the flair on the stump. Not unusual stump for around here. I could cut three of em in the amount of time it took him to whittle this one. If the hinge was missing anywhere it was a mistake although most of it looks to be intact.

I'm not certain this is textbook GOL.
The steep face and the boring back cut with an undersized saw are typical of GOL.
The angled finish of the very rear of the back cut may be an example of a local technique added.

There are several things wrong here.
That angle rear cut being the icing on a moldy stump.

Just to mention it.
Using undersized bars limits ones safety.

If you can make all your cuts from either side you can avoid being under hazards on the 'bad side' or placing yourself in a spot with a poor escape route.
Topography can also remove falling options with short bars.

GOL is surprisingly obstinate about using short bars.
Remember, its a small tree falling technique from Scandanavia.

Often in the US GOL gets common sense modifications like using appropriate sized saws/bars for the timber here.
Not trying to justify it. Just promote common sense.

Just to mention it.
Using undersized bars limits ones safety.

If you can make all your cuts from either side you can avoid being under hazards on the 'bad side' or placing yourself in a spot with a poor escape route.
Topography can also remove falling options with short bars.

GOL is surprisingly obstinate about using short bars.
Remember, its a small tree falling technique from Scandanavia.

Often in the US GOL gets common sense modifications like using appropriate sized saws/bars for the timber here.
Not trying to justify it. Just promote common sense.

Good to see you back here.

Back