Stump in Garden

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Nevil

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning,

I have a bay tree stump in my garden which I have been thinking about removing by hand after reading through this brief guide about stump removal - http://www.davefordtreecare.co.uk/surrey-tree-surgery-services/stump-removal-surrey by a local tree surgeon.

Is this going to be a viable option for me or should I look at calling in a professional? I will have a go at posting some photos later with the help of my daughter when she gets home later on.

Thanks

Jeff

Depends. I have dug out a japanese maple stump that was only 5" in diameter, but took two of us about 4 hours, because the size of the root ball was significantly larger than the tree size indicated.

Digging out stumps by hand can be done. Do you have the time? Patience? You will be crawling in and around the mud to cut all the roots, especially those growing downward.

If you have more time than money, give it a go. Worst that happens, you give up and call in a stump grinder.

Latest posts

Back