Stumped MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcappe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Picked up a MS250 that would start and idle but would die with acceleration. Cleaned carb and installed carb kit, put new air filter on. Now it starts and sounds good out of the wood but when you put it in the wood it bogs out and dies if you stay on the throttle. It seems to be flooding itself out. I pressure checked the carb and rechecked my gaskets and diaghrams. Checked and cleaned tank vent. Fuel line looks good. Changed spark plug. There is quite a bit of fuel in the air filter box when after you start and run it. Any suggestions? As always, Thanks guys!

Are you sure the welch plug is in place?

Also check that the metering lever height is correct.

Go through the carb correctly....
As my mentor..(and I as his student)...have said many times...

90% of chainsaw problems are carb related...likely the problem is there..somewhere..??

Run the carb through an ultra-sonic cleaner if someone in your area has one....!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Haven't check the compression yet, guess I had it pounded in my head it was something with the carb since it ran better after the carb kit. will check comp and let you know. Thanks for the replies so far.

Got it!

After rechecking my work and putting carb in the ultrasonic cleaner, along with checking the above mentioned......I removed the muffler and checked the spark arrest screen. Plugged up tighter than Fort Knox. Removed it, started it and put it in some wood and it runs great. Thanks again for the tips guys. Appreciate it a ton! :cheers:

After rechecking my work and putting carb in the ultrasonic cleaner, along with checking the above mentioned......I removed the muffler and checked the spark arrest screen. Plugged up tighter than Fort Knox. Removed it, started it and put it in some wood and it runs great. Thanks again for the tips guys. Appreciate it a ton! :cheers:
Congrats..!! - Good to hear you got it running good again..!!

A plugged screen should always be checked first..and an ultra-sonic carb cleaning really does it's job..!!

"Appreciate it a ton!" - That why we get paid the Big Bucks..LOL..!!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Glad you found the problem

Pull the limiters on the carb and do a MM on that saw and retune the carb afterwards :msp_smile:

I had assumed that because you were a member here, that the muffler screen would have been long gone...:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Glad you got it running!!

I had assumed that because you were a member here, that the muffler screen would have been long gone...:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Glad you got it running!!

Hadn't even gotten to that point yet. I did not bother cleaning it to put back on either.
Thanks for the help!

Back