Stumped!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no reason a ½ ton short bed truck couldn’t have a gooseneck hitch on it.
Putting the load on top of the axel instead of on the bumper would increase the towing ability a little bit. Plus the added control you have in stopping it. Going around a curve on a wet road and having to make a sudden stop with a bumper pull trailer is tuff.

I’m not looking to try to haul 2 cords at a time; I just charge an extra fee for making two trips. I do like the advantages you get with a gooseneck over a bumper pull.

I suppose with a dump trailer you could tilt the bed so the wood will slide to the rear and you could unload it by hand that way.

Like everything else, I need more equipment then I can afford.lol

I vote dump trailer. I have a 14' PJ with a Line X lining in it.

20120525_140945.jpg

Here's an off the wall thought..no dump trailer. Those things cost thousands!, ya, they work, but cost beaucoup lots!

How about this..a box truck with a liftgate? I've seen decent ones of those used for similar to what those dump trailers cost. Store/season your wood on pallets, 1/3 cord per pallet. Use a pallet jack to move them on and off the truck and for delivery. Handle the wood loose *once*, that's it.

I would think any sort of decent box truck could carry a full cord, and a lot of them are diesels. You know, like a 12-14 foot box, that size. Around there.

You also now have two trucks, in case one or the other goes down, you have backup.
Is it great minds thinking alike or fools seldom differing? I have been thinking along reasonably similar lines, but not for stacked on pallets (stacked isn't needed much here) but thrown into bags like these right at the splitting site and left for a year to season:

attachment.php

Then (or earlier if need be) either loaded on larger trucks for transport to a yard or using this for direct deliveries:
242949933.jpg

The same could be used with wood stacked on pallets. Roll down the driveway and lightly place the pallets where you want them.

No good for stacking in alternative places or 'round the back' but anything that helps lower wood handling (potentially to just once, straight off the splitter, then once again for delivery) is a good thing, right?

Also, if not buying logs in as the 'feed stock' for your firewooding addiction/process or you can't process on-site but can skid them to a half-decent road, you can load the logs onto the flat deck and/or a trailer and cart a few cords back to your yard/processing area.

Oh, and sorry for heading off-topic with this.
View attachment 265534

Last edited:
Here is a quick drawing I made of what I plan to do. Sorry the drawing is poor but I just did it on paint real quick to give you an ides of what I want to do.
Its very similar to the Catasplitter thread but on a smaller scale.

2q1xsnm.png

2hs998n.png

Back