Stumped!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’ve been selling firewood for several years now and sales are getting better as I grow my costumer base.
Just this past week I sold and delivered 7 cords to various people with my existing trailer and in most cases it the trailer worked fine.
There are two deferent problems I have encountered that have got me thinking I might get a new trailer.
I have a nice heavy duty 7’x16’ utility trailer that I bought new 8 years ago. (108” total width)
The first problem is the trailer is too wide to get down some of these narrow driveways I have encountered.
Second is I cant reach the wood in the middle of the trailer from the side when I unload and stack.
I was thinking I could sell my existing trailer and get a 6”x12 to do deliveries.
The problem with doing that is one: taking a loss on a used trailer by selling the one I have. Then spending that money plus some to buy a new trailer like the one I want.

Then while I was looking at new trailers I started thinking dump trailer?
Trouble with a dump trailer is cost plus deck height and side height.
Even a low profile dump trailer has a higher deck height then a utility trailer has.

So do I stay with what I have and deal with it? Or do I go dump or utility?
A dumper would be nice but much more money.

My used trailer is worth I’m Guessing eighteen hundred, if I’m lucky.
A new 6x12 utility is around seventeen hundred with tandem axels and breaks.
A 6x12 dumper is forty two hundred. 10,000.00 lb capacity.

I rarely need a trailer as big as the one I have, but there nice to have when you need one.
I’ve been thinking about all the things a dump trailer can do and comparing them with how much I would use it.

I just can make up my mind.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
If you can swing it, get the dump. Dumps hold there value better than utilitys, so when its time to
upgrade again, you will get more towards the next trailer.

Dump all the way! As far as your question, I would say it depends on how they are set up/ I'm perfectly happy with my single piston dump and I have had it LOADED with wood and dumps no problem.
Watch what brand trailer you buy though, there are some that are just plain junk. I won't give my opinion at this point on brands. Good luck, you won't regret getting a dump trailer. My low pro isn't much higher than my utility trailers.

I perfer scissor lifts. Had both and never had a issue with either tho. I would go with a deckover. The deck is higher off the ground, and you can dump in a smaller area. The low pro i had spread the load over a larger area then my deck over due to the lower deck height

I have a 5x10 dump trailer that I got new in 96 and right now I pull it behind an f250 extended cab longbox, there is nowhere that I have found yet that i cannot back it into, it turns real well as the axles are centred on the box.
Mine has a straight front three stage cylinder that has had NO maintenance since new including any kind of lube ect, it still works and looks perfect, definitely spend the extra and get the front cylinder, you will not regret it, plus if your battery happens to be low it will still push it up way better that a scissor or type...
and get at least 5k axles, 7k even better as there is way less maintenance with the electric brakes....

Good luck

Yall just want me to spend all my money.lol
If I get a dump bed I’ll probably go with a 5x12.
Because I drive a ½ ton truck I am limited to weight and can only haul one cord at a time so a 5x12 will work for my needs.
I don’t like to stack wood in the trailer because it’s just more work. When I have delivery’s I just through it in and roll with it.
The seven cords last week was unusual for me, I don’t get that many orders on a regular basses.
And most of them wanted the wood stacked so a dump trailer doesn’t help on most of my deliveries.

One thing does concern me about dumping wood on a driveway and having a home owner clam that I damaged there driveway.
I drove a tree spade for many years and that was one of the number one complaints from builders. They would wait till the flat work was in before they called and ordered trees and expected me to drive a forty thousand pound truck over a green driveway.
I suppose I could draw up a recipe that has a disclaimer in it for any damages.

How do you guys handle that issue?

I cant see a load of wood when dumped damaging a black top drive. If it did you wouldnt be able to drive a car on it either......

Never seen a a 5X12....had a 6x10 7000 gvw, and a 7x14 14,000gvw. The 6x10 you could pull with a 1/2 ton, and with sides on the trailer, I could get a cord on it, but it was tossed on and BARELY held a cord...I stacked many a load from that trailer, so I know what it held.

The 7x14 would hold a cord easily, but I wouldnt recomend towing a cord of wood in that trailer with a half ton..

You and I know it wouldn’t damage a driveway, but having been the tree moving business I know that may not mater.
I’ve been blamed for it many times when it wasn’t me that did it.
It’s a long story and I’ll tell it some other time.
Trailer wheel and frame said they can make anything but I’ve seen some 5x12’s out there but I’m considering a 6x12.
The costumer likes to see a full load of wood, the bigger the better.
My 16 footer holds a cord stacked all the way across to the top rails.
Thrown in it’s a heaping pile a good 2 feet over the top rail. (15” sides)
Its faster and easier to throw it in and roll with it.
A cord of dry oak is around 3,500 lb on average. Post oak is the heaviest that I haul and it may weigh a little more.
But I’m sure I will be hauling green wood at some point and I would be loading it up to its load range.
I don’t think id feel safe towing over 6/7 thousand lb with a ½ ton truck.

Here is a crazy thought. I’ve been given some weird looks when I bring this up.
My truck is a Chevy ½ step side, short bed. But it has the same chassis as a regular ½ ton truck.
Has anyone ever put a gooseneck set up in a short bed truck?
With the weight over the axel instead of the bumper it should handle more weight. “Write”

Dump trailer. I prefer cylinder over scissor. Get a multiple stage cylinder, at least two or three if your manuf. offers one.

7'x12' and loose thrown in wood it holds a cord with some room to spare (heaped up). Not sure of your methods, but I hate stacking wood in a trailer only to dump it, and possibly stack again.

DumpTrailer2012-07-07.jpg

Dump trailer. All the way, one thing we do with our bucket trucks is take pictures of the driveway especially were our outriggers are going both a before and after picture, another idea is a waiver your customer signs I have had people not want me to dump on there driveways and tell them it will be dumped at the end of it amazing how fast they change there mind.

Here's an off the wall thought..no dump trailer. Those things cost thousands!, ya, they work, but cost beaucoup lots!

How about this..a box truck with a liftgate? I've seen decent ones of those used for similar to what those dump trailers cost. Store/season your wood on pallets, 1/3 cord per pallet. Use a pallet jack to move them on and off the truck and for delivery. Handle the wood loose *once*, that's it.

I would think any sort of decent box truck could carry a full cord, and a lot of them are diesels. You know, like a 12-14 foot box, that size. Around there.

You also now have two trucks, in case one or the other goes down, you have backup.

Nice thought there zogger, but you may be overlooking a few things.
Two vehicles mean higher insurance, plus much more to go wrong with a seconded truck, verses a trailer.
So far most of my deliveries have wanted it stacked in the back yard so a dump trailer would be little use at this point. With stacking I can make a few extra dollars over just dumping and driving off.
For those that are low income or elderly and can’t move and stack a large pile of wood, I’ll stack for free.
I’m putting a new trailer on hold for now and I’m working on a crane system for my splitter so I can stop spending so much time and effort noodling rounds to a size I can lift.
I’ve decided for a new trailer I’m just going to get a narrower version of the one I have.
If I have to start hauling rounds or logs out of the woods, I’ll get a dumper then.

Nice thought there zogger, but you may be overlooking a few things.
Two vehicles mean higher insurance, plus much more to go wrong with a seconded truck, verses a trailer.
So far most of my deliveries have wanted it stacked in the back yard so a dump trailer would be little use at this point. With stacking I can make a few extra dollars over just dumping and driving off.
For those that are low income or elderly and can’t move and stack a large pile of wood, I’ll stack for free.
I’m putting a new trailer on hold for now and I’m working on a crane system for my splitter so I can stop spending so much time and effort noodling rounds to a size I can lift.
I’ve decided for a new trailer I’m just going to get a narrower version of the one I have.
If I have to start hauling rounds or logs out of the woods, I’ll get a dumper then.

Oh, back yard, never mind, ain't getting a pallet jack there easy..
what do you do now, just wheelbarrow it?

Trick we use with the dump trailer with mulch is empty the back end close the gate then lift up the trailer to move the load back to the back. Don't usually have to climb into the trailer much.

My truck is a short bed with a B & W turnover ball. You can then add the "companion" for towing fifth wheel trailers as well. You will still be limited by your 1/2 ton's vehicle weight rating, but towing a gooseneck is nice. With the addition of a brake controller and some air bags or helper springs I would imagine you could tow a nice size load safely. The substantial investment in this type of equipment with the limitations of a 1/2 ton truck is something that needs to be considered, though.

If you can, keep the trailer you are using (or swap it out for a smaller one) and add a dump trailer. I have wanted one for years and finally "bit the bullet" this spring and am very glad that I did.

Latest posts

Back