stupid question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It seems that lately I have been asked like every other day for like at least 2 or 3 weeks...."have you ever fell?" or better yet "how many times have you fallen?". What the freakn heck kinda question is that? I mean who really asks a pro tree climber that? Apperently lots of people. I think its the stupidest question ever. I just look at them and say "no" and think to myself how rude it is to ask. In the past I may have replied with the old "sudden stop" thing but anymore I just dont have the humor for it. I think the fact that I am hearing it a lot and I mean a lot lately is making me paranoid. Its really starting to bother me some so I figured maybe writing something here may help since so many here would actually get what i am saying. I would think anyway. I know my wife doesnt get it. Or maybe she does. She says just say no and move on and who cares. But I think its getting into my mind just a tiny bit. I have been climbing trees for 25 years with only some minor stitches. Anyone else ever feel funny like this?

Every once in awhile I will get this eerie feeling that something bad is gonna happen; then the HO asks stuff like that... I think I get what you mean, it's just bad mojo. Sometimes people beg me to be careful and "please don't fall." My standard response is this: " No matter how concerned you are, or how much you don't want me to fall; I don't want ME to fall even worse..."

I don't do a whole heap of climbing myself but the "like a monkey" comment does seem to pop up very frequently, customers seem to attribute it to all climbers and I suppose it is meant as a compliment as monkeys do climb pretty good. I hate ALOT of what is said to me by customers because so many of them want to draw me into a detailed discussions about their hobbies and so forth or the history of every tree in the street-friendly **** chat is fine but if it goes beyond that and I'm trying to work I find it unhelpful and bad etiquette...

I have had that happen many times too but unfourtunantly I get reply yes. Only took 11 screws and a plate to put humpty back together again. Really it does not bother me too bad as long as they don't ask it like a jerk.

It never bothered me a whole lot either until lately. And thats only because its been every time I turn around. I have been asked that more in the last 3 weeks than probably in the last 3 years. It just seems weird.

It never bothered me a whole lot either until lately. And thats only because its been every time I turn around. I have been asked that more in the last 3 weeks than probably in the last 3 years. It just seems weird.

That is kinda creepy. You're starting to sound a little superstitious though. I think that's just something that comes with years of climbing trees. You should treat yourself to a bucket, man, shake up the monotony a bit.

Customer: "Ever fall?"
Me: "Excuse me, but my wife doesn't like me hearing the "F" word."

or

Customer: "Ever fall?"
Me: "All the way to the ground? Nope."

Of course, only my best friends might know I took a loooooong swing once, and wound up smashed against the trunk only four feet from the ground. That was way early in my climbing career and only ended up with bruises. :)

It's makes me uneasy when people start telling me about all the tree guys that have been killed in their area. There was a 16 year old kid that got pulled through a chipper, a couple guys that got shocked by power lines, a guy that fell and another that had a tree land on him. I hear all these stories quite often. It does bother me a little, but it helps keep me focused on being safe in the tree and on the ground. I get a lot of compliments about how safe we work compared to others, so it balances out I guess. My favorite comment ever was "how do you walk around with balls that big?".

We all get asked all the above questions. I answer depending on my mood. Sometimes I'll kid around and say "yeah but only twice this week so far so things are going pretty good' or if she's a cutie maybe "Only for girls like you".

If they're the kind of person I just don't like and don't want them around then I give them something like "never, but I probably will now that you asked me. You'll have to stay inside the house until we are done, I've got to get to work now".

I generally don't mind people watching and taking photos, and since we work in the city a lot it's just part of every day life. You filter it out. Yapping dogs that can't shut up the whole job get on my nerves more. It's not unusual to look down and see a dozen different people in different yards all taking photos, and someone else asking why the tree is getting removed, another one saying it shouldn't be touched and they're going to complain, and another one saying we need to cut down the tree beside it too! Had a job last month at a school, at lunch time had 400~500 kids at the barricades, plus teachers and a few parents. Biggest audience I've ever had. It was a complex spreading tree over buildings and bitumen with no drop zone and no good high point for rigging. Took me and a 6 man crew a whole day to get it done and had to come back an extra few hours for some barrel. The sound of 500 kids simultaneously gasping then screaming can put you off your game a little!

I've got no qualms telling people to go inside if I don't want them around. Never had someone say no. I've even told neighbors to go inside.

We all get asked all the above questions. I answer depending on my mood. Sometimes I'll kid around and say "yeah but only twice this week so far so things are going pretty good' or if she's a cutie maybe "Only for girls like you".

If they're the kind of person I just don't like and don't want them around then I give them something like "never, but I probably will now that you asked me. You'll have to stay inside the house until we are done, I've got to get to work now".

I generally don't mind people watching and taking photos, and since we work in the city a lot it's just part of every day life. You filter it out. Yapping dogs that can't shut up the whole job get on my nerves more. It's not unusual to look down and see a dozen different people in different yards all taking photos, and someone else asking why the tree is getting removed, another one saying it shouldn't be touched and they're going to complain, and another one saying we need to cut down the tree beside it too! Had a job last month at a school, at lunch time had 400~500 kids at the barricades, plus teachers and a few parents. Biggest audience I've ever had. It was a complex spreading tree over buildings and bitumen with no drop zone and no good high point for rigging. Took me and a 6 man crew a whole day to get it done and had to come back an extra few hours for some barrel. The sound of 500 kids simultaneously gasping then screaming can put you off your game a little!

I've got no qualms telling people to go inside if I don't want them around. Never had someone say no. I've even told neighbors to go inside.
I am def used to people watching and I dont mind it a bit. I tend to forget there even there. Your story about the kids reminds me of a similiar situation I had. It was about 30 or 40 kids of different ages at a day care one summer they were all pressed against a chain link fence watching us take down a rather large pin oak. The distances was a good one, plenty far enough to be safe but close enough to clearly see and hear everything. All in plain view for them. Most had there mouth open as I climbed higher and higher into the tree. Cutting small stuff outa the way brought little reaction but once things got going I really laid the blade to this thing. With a wide open area underneath it had always been my plan to hammer it out. Boy did those kids cheer! Every piece that came down was followed with cheers. Especially the chunks of the spar landing with a big thud! And of course the spar its self coming down was a hit. I did notice the kids lose interest fast when all that was left was clean up. It was a cut and drag so......I can see why. That was a fun day.

It's makes me uneasy when people start telling me about all the tree guys that have been killed in their area. There was a 16 year old kid that got pulled through a chipper, a couple guys that got shocked by power lines, a guy that fell and another that had a tree land on him. I hear all these stories quite often. It does bother me a little, but it helps keep me focused on being safe in the tree and on the ground. I get a lot of compliments about how safe we work compared to others, so it balances out I guess. My favorite comment ever was "how do you walk around with balls that big?".
I remember when that kid went through that chipper a few years ago , very sad thing. As far as people saying climbing like a monkey, i think it is a complement. Monkeys do climb dam good.

If not being called a Monkey, then they most likely say we climb like Squirrels. Mostly get it from people scared of heights or out of shape.

I am def used to people watching and I dont mind it a bit. I tend to forget there even there. Your story about the kids reminds me of a similiar situation I had. It was about 30 or 40 kids of different ages at a day care one summer they were all pressed against a chain link fence watching us take down a rather large pin oak. The distances was a good one, plenty far enough to be safe but close enough to clearly see and hear everything. All in plain view for them. Most had there mouth open as I climbed higher and higher into the tree. Cutting small stuff outa the way brought little reaction but once things got going I really laid the blade to this thing. With a wide open area underneath it had always been my plan to hammer it out. Boy did those kids cheer! Every piece that came down was followed with cheers. Especially the chunks of the spar landing with a big thud! And of course the spar its self coming down was a hit. I did notice the kids lose interest fast when all that was left was clean up. It was a cut and drag so......I can see why. That was a fun day.
I like it when the kids start asking questions "What are ya doing up there" "why" "why" "why" Good fun and a good opportunity to brainwash them. "A bad man topped this tree...."

Latest posts

Back