Stupid wheelbarrow repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think it's kinda wood burning equipment therefore relevant ;)

So after my trusty wheelbarrow committed suicide at 55mph I needed a new one.

$60(!) later at HD I had a new trusty hauler. Except the same day it cracked when I was loading it with wood. WTF.

What can I use to repair this? 5min epoxy? JB Weld? I assume it should be something with some flex to it.

$60(!) later at HD I had a new trusty hauler. Except the same day it cracked when I was loading it with wood. WTF.

What can I use to repair this? 5min epoxy? JB Weld? I assume it should be something with some flex to it.

I would use the HD receipt to fix it!

I like the plastic tubs, but the things don't hold up to hardly any impact in cold weather. Tossing oak splits into them at 10° typically yields blowouts...

I agree...Take that POS back...

maybe I should. I was pissed. Not like I'm tossing 50lb chunks in it. I wanted metal but they didn't have a decent sized one. If I can return it I could get the same one, but put a sheet of metal in the bottom or something.

maybe I should. I was pissed. Not like I'm tossing 50lb chunks in it. I wanted metal but they didn't have a decent sized one. If I can return it I could get the same one, but put a sheet of metal in the bottom or something.

I would return it for cash and go somewhere else for a metal one. You are going to be using it next year and it's bound to be cold then. Difference is it will still be broken and out of warranty.

I actually just fixed up mine this past weekend. It's one of the two wheel kind from TSC, plastic tub. Had it about a year or so. Plastic was cracked on both sides from top to bottom. We had some aluminum sheet metal scrap laying on the floor of the shop. I just cut a peice about 4" wide and 10" long laid it across the cracks and shot some self tappers through the inside of the plastic through the sheet metal. Seems to of worked so far, held up good hauling wood in afterwords.

return it . I have used one of the plastic ones for 5 years with out killing it .....yet!
My boys use it everyday all winter to haul from the woodpile into the basement to refill a days wood use.
Lowes has a nice contractors wheel barrow with 2 wheels and a huge payload. but I wonder if one wheel is easier to push loaded thru the snow into the house.
Mick D

What can I use to repair this?

One idea is a fiberglass resin and cloth kit.

I used that as the cover (layered on top of a wire fence base) once to take care of a floor rust out on one of my first cars. Rock solid when dry, waterproof, and you can even shape it or smooth it if desired.

Just make sure it's OK for use on plastic.

return

I'd return that POS. I have one w/ a plastic tub also (from lowes) and had a simlar thing happen about 2 weeks ago. Probably 25 or 30 out, not real cold but cold enough. I was tossing a few smaller pieces into it out of the truck and the next thing you know 3 cracks. I have had the wheelbarrow about 6 month so I can't really return it. I bought the plastic tub thinking it was lighter and wouldn't rust, bad idea on my part, as I tend to be rough on things. To fix it, I drilled a series of holes on either side of the cracks, extending about 1" past each end of the crack. I then used zip ties to "stitch" the cracks up and prevent them from growing. Not really pretty, but it works and has held up fine since. I should have bought the steel tub to start with.:dizzy:

I'd return that POS. I have one w/ a plastic tub also (from lowes) and had a simlar thing happen about 2 weeks ago. Probably 25 or 30 out, not real cold but cold enough. I was tossing a few smaller pieces into it out of the truck and the next thing you know 3 cracks. I have had the wheelbarrow about 6 month so I can't really return it. I bought the plastic tub thinking it was lighter and wouldn't rust, bad idea on my part, as I tend to be rough on things. To fix it, I drilled a series of holes on either side of the cracks, extending about 1" past each end of the crack. I then used zip ties to "stitch" the cracks up and prevent them from growing. Not really pretty, but it works and has held up fine since. I should have bought the steel tub to start with.:dizzy:

I work for lowes . they have a one year satisfaction guarantee . they will replace it
MD

Plastic? Plastic!? PLASTIC!!!???

simple fix, unbolt it and toss it. Really the best wood barrows have flat decks and the front on the barrow should come up at 90 degrees. If I had to rely on a barrow soley for wood that is what I would do. Somebody posted one on my thread " one load", I imagine just screwing some boards on like that will get you rolling right.

Plastic? Plastic!? PLASTIC!!!???

simple fix, unbolt it and toss it. Really the best wood barrows have flat decks and the front on the barrow should come up at 90 degrees. If I had to rely on a barrow soley for wood that is what I would do. Somebody posted one on my thread " one load", I imagine just screwing some boards on like that will get you rolling right.

that does sound like a great idea for just wood.

BUT I cant get the picture of an old rusty iron wheel out of my head squeak..squeeeeeek hahahaha
md

Take it back and get a new one. If the new one breaks take it back too. Then get a better one.

I'll try taking it back tomorrow. If they take it, and they probably will, I'll poke around at their other ones but as I recall the metal ones were all smaller.

A dual wheeled unit would be great for stability, TSC had one for 99.

I still have the old one. One leg is bent 90degrees. 3 bolts are pulled through the tub. Handles are still good and the wheel is fine. Maybe I'll make a new tub for around the yard hauling. There's a lot of hauling. My driveway sucks. the width of my truck, and I'll have to haul by hand 150' to the shed, then around the back to store the wood. then BACK up the hill the next season to burn it :buttkick:

attachment.php

The industry standard for professional use is the Jackson™ 6CF Steel Wheelbarrow, model M6. This 6CF steel tray is relied upon by professionals for its durable performance. These models come with a variety of features such as pneumatic tubed tires, flat free tires, ball bearings, extra large wood handles and heavy duty undercarriage with "leg stabilizers" to make the wheelbarrow up to 4 times more tip resistant.

http://www.amestruetemper.com/Choosing_wheelbarrows.html

This looks like a darn good wheelbarrow. It's large, made of steel, and seems perfect for your purposes. The model number is M6T22.

Perhaps you can return your junk wheelbarrow and ask for credit towards ordering in one of these? Most stores will special order merchandise for you if you know what you want and ask nicely.

That's a nice wheelbarrow, I think I need one of those.

My dad uses this model to move wood. It works well. Never broken the bucket yet.

79096546.jpg

I bought my wheelbarrow over five years ago, and it has held up just fine.It is a TrueTemper 8 cubic feet with a plastic tub and dual wheels.I have abused this thing almost daily with firewood, chunks of concrete, etc and nary a crack to be found.None of the bolts have pulled through the tub, and I would almost describe this thing as indestructible except for the fact that if I did Murphy's law would descend on me and the thing would self destruct right before my eyes.
Paid a 100 bucks for it, and it is holding up good.

Back