Stupid wheelbarrow repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad uses this model to move wood. It works well. Never broken the bucket yet.

79096546.jpg

Dam, he has enough of them to choose from,lol.:)

That Jackson™ 6CF Steel Wheelbarrow model that Krusty posted is almost the identical to mine.

I got my professional model back at '74 at Midstate Equipment in Syracuse and it's still working today.

Before we had convenient trails here we'd use it to wheel many thousands of rounds threw the woods to a pickup point.

$70, that was a lot of dough back then but it sure has paid for itself...just got a load of firewood with it yesterday. I mostly remember this cause it was the 1st tool related purchase at our new house.

Original tire too and I didn't have to put a tube in it either. LOL

attachment.php

The industry standard for professional use is the Jackson™ 6CF Steel Wheelbarrow, model M6. This 6CF steel tray is relied upon by professionals for its durable performance. These models come with a variety of features such as pneumatic tubed tires, flat free tires, ball bearings, extra large wood handles and heavy duty undercarriage with "leg stabilizers" to make the wheelbarrow up to 4 times more tip resistant.

This looks like a darn good wheelbarrow. It's large, made of steel, and seems perfect for your purposes. The model number is M6T22.

Damn I'm tempted to buy one of these rather than screwing around with the POS plastic HD junk I've been patching back together every year...

I just called my local Ace Hardware, they can get this model for me in a couple days at a cost of $130. Expensive, but probably money well spent in the long run!

On a related note, a friend of mine swears by the two wheeled wheelbarrows. He keeps telling me how much better they are. Anyone have any feedback on those? I don't have any experience with them, but they don't look very well suited to all terrain usage or HD work. Thoughts?

I have that exact one, Jackson™ 6CF Steel Wheelbarrow, model M6. I bought it brand new at HD and have owned it now for about 2 years. It was rather pricey, but I figured it should last me the rest of my life! I don't leave it out where it can get wet, so it won't rust. I would highly recommend this wheelbarrow to anyone too. Good luck.

I went through this a few years ago. Had to repair, then replace, then repair (the sheet metal and self tappers idea) Finally my help didn't tie it in when it was in the trailer and we got to the job it was gone.

Got fed up with'em and never bought another one. Some how we don't miss it. I don't bother selling firewood anymore either though. We do carry a good dolly now days.

Well it looks like a nice unit, that Jackson. Looks like HD has them so maybe I'll upgrade. Doesn't seeem like such a kick in the shorts when you are just laying out $39 fresh since theres $70 store credit or whatever. But ouch. Get what you pay for I spose.

This cheap heating is costing me a ton of money :dizzy: $350 for chainsaw, who knows how much for truck gas at 10mpg, 1000 for splitter, 35 for Fiskars, assorted tarps bungies.....
And now the guy that I was gonna split a log load with backed out so I can't do that :cry:

Ah well. off to HD

Damn I'm tempted to buy one of these rather than screwing around with the POS plastic HD junk I've been patching back together every year...

I just called my local Ace Hardware, they can get this model for me in a couple days at a cost of $130. Expensive, but probably money well spent in the long run!

On a related note, a friend of mine swears by the two wheeled wheelbarrows. He keeps telling me how much better they are. Anyone have any feedback on those? I don't have any experience with them, but they don't look very well suited to all terrain usage or HD work. Thoughts?

Yep, I got one of those two wheeled jobbies, and after having one I wouldnt go back to a single wheel one.You just lift and push, no straining with trying to balance an uneven load, no dumping it over with a bunch of wood in it as you are throwing it in.
If you are pushing it through a lot of obstacles, or maybe through snow, then maybe it would be a pain.
but other than that, I wouldnt own another single wheelbarrow after having this around.

Well it looks like a nice unit, that Jackson. Looks like HD has them so maybe I'll upgrade. Doesn't seeem like such a kick in the shorts when you are just laying out $39 fresh since theres $70 store credit or whatever. But ouch. Get what you pay for I spose.

Ah well. off to HD
I just looked up the model HD carries:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...arketID=10&locStoreNum=6201&categoryID=501674

It looks like this is not the same product as the one Krusty linked above. It doesn't have the same part number, in fact the entire line HD carries looks like it has different part numbers. I know a lot of manufactures sell box stores their own versions of their products, but they typically 'cheese' them out a little to make them cheaper. I don't see any ball bearings mentioned on the HD model, and I notice they have knobby tires on them (not something I'd want as they tear up grass when you turn them). My guess is there might be other differences as well. Without seeing them first hand, I'd likely spend the extra $15-$20 and get the non-box store model through my local Ace Hardware.

I would tash the plastic tub and mod it from the frame up.
Here is my wood hauler...it works for me. All I have to do is replace some of the 1x2's every couple of years. As you can see it needs some replaced.:cheers:

View attachment 92536

I too prefer the two wheeled wheelbarrow for hauling wood. It's much more stable when you have a large load on it. I can get alot of wood on it and being that heavy you need the stability of two wheels so you don't dump the load where you didn't want it.

Yep, I got one of those two wheeled jobbies, and after having one I wouldnt go back to a single wheel one.You just lift and push, no straining with trying to balance an uneven load, no dumping it over with a bunch of wood in it as you are throwing it in.
If you are pushing it through a lot of obstacles, or maybe through snow, then maybe it would be a pain.
but other than that, I wouldnt own another single wheelbarrow after having this around.

Just got back from HD. They had 1 of the Jackson units. Frozen to the ground and the lip was rusted. Said he'd give me 25% off and I said sold! he loads up the handles and box o parts and we go up front where I realize he's gotten the dual wheeled box. Back he goes to find the right parts. Guess what? Don't have any, just the tub! Figures. But THEN he says he will upgrade me to the poly 8cf dual wheeled for the same price. Which is nice, but it wasn't any heavier duty than the one I just returned. So I picked out the True Temper metal 6cf with metal handles for 89 and he gave me 10% off that. So basically $7 more than the poly unit I just returned. Can't complain about that.

I think the dual wheeled units would be great for around the yard, and you could load a lot more in em and not have to worry, but if I can only afford 1 unit it has to be single wheel for moving in amongst the trees n whatnot.

I'm debating the wisdom of perhaps scuffing the paint all up and slapping some Rhino lining type stuff all over the thing. Anyone done this? I would think it wwould save a lot of damage if mixing concrete or hauling gravel.

Last week at HD I picked up whole cart of cull lumber for $35. It included 28 2x4x12, 8 2x6x12, about 10 2x3x8 and a few various odds and ends. all in good shape, some slightly bent. Helluva deal. Especially since I wanted to build supports on my wood storage area.
Now I can use it on my old "I jumped off the trailer at 55" wheelbarrow instead of the crappy tub.

Not to mention a saw buck. cuttin those small limbs without one is a bit....tricky.

Yep sure did. It was a old wheelbarrow that I trashed hauling wood. The orignial metal tub got beat up and rusted out....so I modified it to suit my purose of hauling wood. It will hold more wood that can be lifted, so I have to be carefull on how much wood I load.
I think there are brick wheelbarrows that look like this.

PS...In order to make a single wheel wheelbarrow into a two wheel wheelbarrow all that is needed is a 5/8" shaft about 3 ft long and another wheel. Pretty simple to do.

If anybody's interested here is the link to a brick wheelbarrow. I think that it's a better wood hauler than the standard wheelbarrow. :cheers:

http://www.industromart.com/new_page_33.htm

JAL,

Hmm... we have an old wheelbarrow sitting outside right now. Might be a summer retrofit that even I can do. :)

When I first saw your wheelbarrow I was reminded of the 'luggage carts' in vintage railroad photos.

Right now our wood pile is nice and close (but not too close) to the house and I just use an old coaster wagon but next year I will have more wood stacked near our back lot line. I won't have to worry about pushing a wheelbarrow through snow because for winter transport of wood, I am planning on getting an Otter sled: http://www.otteroutdoors.com/sleds.html

Shari

Latest posts

Back