SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powerking

powerking

ArboristSite Guru
So, This happened today!!...Now I get Great blue spark, but still no start......GRRRR 150lbs compression.....plug is very wet.......Question...I got this saw for free....been sitting for years, Is it possible to have good compression and still have bad crank seals or something???

Rockfarmer

Rockfarmer

ArboristSite Guru
Yes it is but that would not really affect the saw starting. Might affect idling or lean condition at wot. Pull the plug out and turn switch off. Pull the saw over 10 times choke off to clear all the gas out and try again. Maybe it's flooded. If that's the case throttle wide open, no choke and pull till she fires. Plug gapped at .020". She'll run, just keep pulling till she starts popping and it will go.

powerking

powerking

ArboristSite Guru
Yes it is but that would not really affect the saw starting. Might affect idling or lean condition at wot. Pull the plug out and turn switch off. Pull the saw over 10 times choke off to clear all the gas out and try again. Maybe it's flooded. If that's the case throttle wide open, no choke and pull till she fires. Plug gapped at .020". She'll run, just keep pulling till she starts popping and it will go.

Thanks for the info Rockfarmer....I'll have to give it a try tommorrow......I treid blowing everything out with my compressor. After only about 3 pulls, I get fuel running back out the carb.....we're getting closer!!!

shu7241

shu7241

ArboristSite Lurker
foggysail, if you are still there, I have a question for you. Sorry, wrong forum but this is the only way I might get in touch with you. Anyone else can feel free to reply also. Recently working on echo trimmer that would start but not run. To keep things simple, give me credit for doing all the normal things to fix this problem. Nothing worked. By chance, checking fire with in line spark tester, the trimmer ran perfect. Put gap type spark tester in line with coll wire and plug and trimmer ran great. Why or what conditions are present that causes this to happen. I didn't replace the coil because it cost $70. Thanks for any help. Bill

LegDeLimber

LegDeLimber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Try another spark plug in the trimmer.
Running on a booster gap is usually indicative of a fouled or faulty plug.

I've seen a mower that would crank with the plug wire off, but wouldn't with the wire clipped onto the plug.
Was a slight "what the heck" moment till you realized the spark was jumping from the wire to the spark plug top.
(we're getting into why lightening strikes are so crazy, etc, here)
The problem came from the customer running the mower with the throttle pushed all the way, which engaged the choke and soot fouled the plug.
This was back in the early 80's when you could still see a few manual choke carburetors on push mowers.

I personally will no longer run a resistor type spark, for the reason of having them fail and cause hard starting and missfireing.
No advanced ignition timing or compression changes in any instances.
Fresh non ethanol fuel running in a motor and never lugged
or overloaded, etc.
One motor is 29 yrs old, So I'd guess that I'm not abusing it or the plug.
The plugs just fail.
When you check a bad one with an ohm meter, you'll see a noticeable increase of the through plug resistance.
But that's just my personal adventure, other folks like them and the factories sell a lot of them.

Edit: If this missive is too far off track and overly cluttering Foggys thread,
Then I'd be happy to see a Moderator make it disappear.

LegDeLimber

LegDeLimber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interesting. Sorry I didn't have a useful answer.
My next thoughts are checking if bending the wires to fit in the test gear
happens to move a wire from a grounded position or moves a kill switch, etc.
after that I confess to running low on armchair opinions.

Beyond this I'll stop commenting and let Foggysail say if this should be moved to a thread of its own.
I'm sorta thinking it should.

Jedneck

Jedneck

ArboristSite Lurker
I am a big fan of the 056's. I just had the Bosch ignition go bad in my super but I was lucky enuf to have a spare semi and matching fly wheel to fix it. But I have a question. I just reinstalled the module in roughly the same location in the slots and it runs but dont seem snappy as I remember. It pulls hard in the wood with a 25" skip chain and a 7 pin. Had to really work it to bog it down in red oak, both cross and rip. Does it sound lime I need to play with timing?

tbone75
Thanks ! Saved me from searching ! And I bought 35 of them to share with who ever needs one or two , and not 10 . Cheap fer sure , but you use one or 2 , ya got 8 more to stare at for the next 10 years . LOL
Something even funnier , I don't have or want any old Stihls , but I may need to work on one some day ? I am sure they won't go bad , if you keep them dry . LOL

rageej

rageej

ArboristSite Operative
The capacitance suggested for the "fix" is a 1.0 microF, so I'm not sure what you could use those 0.0056mF caps for with respect to a Bosch CD ignition...
Ah, ffs, wrong damn listing. I know at least one person I owe a few dollars. Thank you for the spot. Sh!t. Insult to injury... the correct post has ended with all items sold out.

Thank you again for spotting that.

Edit: How the heck do I delete that old post?

powerking

powerking

ArboristSite Guru
SO I think I nailed down my issue, the coil is firing at the wrong time, So now I'm on the hunt for a bad coil that I can purchase, so I can try another Foggy Fix...Let me know If you have a bad one I can purchase.....