Success With Lisle Seal Puller – Seal Installation for Newbies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inspired by recent/archive posts I found a Lisle seal puller (58430) for $10 and change on one of the online sites. I had a flywheel side seal to replace on a Stihl 034AV. I had tried the punch and drywall nail technique but the hole was a little off center and the screw pulled out at the edge. It was really in there. There is only about 1.5mm between the crankshaft and the metal rim of the seal. When I got the puller, I could see that the small horizontal part of the “L” shaped puller would have to be ground a bit. No problem – it still held and by making it shorter, put less torque on the bend. I also beveled the edges at the width of the puller to give it a more rounded shape. By taking the puller off the lever, I was able to lay it flat with the “L” extending down between the crank and the seal with the puller extending radially out perpendicular to the crankshaft. I then brought it back to vertical with the “L” hooked under the seal rim, reattached the lever, and found a good spot for the fulcrum. With one finger holding the puller against the rim, I put steady pressure on the handle and the seal slid right out of its seat.

If you’re reading this, you don’t have the Stihl sleeve and arbor press tools for replacing the seal, so I’ll continue with the excruciating detail. If you’ve never done this before I think you’ll appreciate it. Before you remove the old seal, measure the depth below flush. This can be done with an inexpensive caliper. Set the zero, then set the far end of the caliper (opposite the measuring end) on the edge of the seal seat. Extend the center slide of the caliper down to touch the metal rim of the seal. The reading on the caliper is the depth of the seal. After the old seal is removed, select a tall socket slightly smaller than the diameter of the seal. The service manuals tell you to grease the rim of the seal, but I don’t find that necessary. After cleaning the seal seat and the rim of the seal, I put a thin film of Dirko on both, to act as both lubricant and seal (Dirko takes a while to dry and gives you working time, which you will need.) Now grease the inside lip of the seal and slide it over the crankshaft. Slide the socket over the crankshaft and center it on the seal. Tap gently with a hammer to get it started. Lift the socket and see if it looks like it’s going in evenly. If one side looks a bit higher, tilt the socket and tap the high side. Check after every series of taps. TAKE YOUR TIME. When you get below flush, it’s time to start using your caliper to check depth. Measure all around to keep even. When done, I put a little Yamabond 4 at the outer edge of the seal (think of caulking a bathtub). It dries quickly and is tough. You’re done. Don’t forget the crankcase vacuum and pressure test.

Attachments

• Lisle.jpg
    Lisle.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 54
If there's a better way that doesn't involve expensive specialized tools, I'm all ears.:happybanana:

It`s been posted on this site so many times its worn out by now...LOL
Use whatever is comfortable for your skill level, I personally use the specially ground ex slotted screwdriver, have been using it since the early 70`s and will continue to do so even though I have owned the Stihl seal puller and its various puller tips for many years. Its too slow and cumbersome for me to setup. When I pull seals it only takes about 5 mins or often less per side.

Yep, use what works. For me:
Use a punch to knock the seal out of its seat a bit (not too hard... especially if you're reusing the bearings). Then, carefully use a modified screw driver that I filed down to the right shape.
You can use something for leverage but be careful of the crank and any mag surface.
I've used screws on the clutch side seal, too.

It`s been posted on this site so many times its worn out by now...LOL
Use whatever is comfortable for your skill level, I personally use the specially ground ex slotted screwdriver, have been using it since the early 70`s and will continue to do so even though I have owned the Stihl seal puller and its various puller tips for many years. Its too slow and cumbersome for me to setup. When I pull seals it only takes about 5 mins or often less per side.

Ingenuity, experience, and a homemade tool wins out over a $200-300 piece of precision German engineering. Love it! :ices_rofl:

I have a heavy 3/4" ID washer in my box along with the screwdriver that I drop down over the end of the crankshaft end. There is enough clearance between the crank stub for me to insert the screwdriver in under the seal lip and just pry down using the washer as a fulcrum point, it protects the edge of the seal bore from damage, seal flips out easily.

I have a heavy 3/4" ID washer in my box along with the screwdriver that I drop down over the end of the crankshaft end. There is enough clearance between the crank stub for me to insert the screwdriver in under the seal lip and just pry down using the washer as a fulcrum point, it protects the edge of the seal bore from damage, seal flips out easily.

I was wondering about that, because I made a screwdriver based puller described in some archived posts, and never could find a good fulcrum point. Also mine broke before budging the seal. Could you post pictures?

for Matts coke can trip trick I use clear plastic, like a window from a donut box or something that's quite thin. I used to use 35mm film but I don't think anybody knows what that is anymore. When you cut a piece of either pop can or plastic there's a burr edge side and there's a round side from the shears. make sure that the burr edge is inside so the sharp burr doesn't damage the seal lip

Yup. Film negs also work really well to remove dirt from front fork seals of motorcycles. Cut the edge at an angle like a small snow plow, slide along under the lip seals, flush with WD40, and many a weeping seal is much better.

Reminds me, I should stop by the drug store and ask for a roll of 35mm film.........Clerks weren't even born when it went out.

Inspired by recent/archive posts I found a Lisle seal puller (58430) for $10 and change on one of the online sites. I had a flywheel side seal to replace on a Stihl 034AV. I had tried the punch and drywall nail technique but the hole was a little off center and the screw pulled out at the edge. It was really in there. There is only about 1.5mm between the crankshaft and the metal rim of the seal. When I got the puller, I could see that the small horizontal part of the “L” shaped puller would have to be ground a bit. No problem – it still held and by making it shorter, put less torque on the bend. I also beveled the edges at the width of the puller to give it a more rounded shape. By taking the puller off the lever, I was able to lay it flat with the “L” extending down between the crank and the seal with the puller extending radially out perpendicular to the crankshaft. I then brought it back to vertical with the “L” hooked under the seal rim, reattached the lever, and found a good spot for the fulcrum. With one finger holding the puller against the rim, I put steady pressure on the handle and the seal slid right out of its seat.

If you’re reading this, you don’t have the Stihl sleeve and arbor press tools for replacing the seal, so I’ll continue with the excruciating detail. If you’ve never done this before I think you’ll appreciate it. Before you remove the old seal, measure the depth below flush. This can be done with an inexpensive caliper. Set the zero, then set the far end of the caliper (opposite the measuring end) on the edge of the seal seat. Extend the center slide of the caliper down to touch the metal rim of the seal. The reading on the caliper is the depth of the seal. After the old seal is removed, select a tall socket slightly smaller than the diameter of the seal. The service manuals tell you to grease the rim of the seal, but I don’t find that necessary. After cleaning the seal seat and the rim of the seal, I put a thin film of Dirko on both, to act as both lubricant and seal (Dirko takes a while to dry and gives you working time, which you will need.) Now grease the inside lip of the seal and slide it over the crankshaft. Slide the socket over the crankshaft and center it on the seal. Tap gently with a hammer to get it started. Lift the socket and see if it looks like it’s going in evenly. If one side looks a bit higher, tilt the socket and tap the high side. Check after every series of taps. TAKE YOUR TIME. When you get below flush, it’s time to start using your caliper to check depth. Measure all around to keep even. When done, I put a little Yamabond 4 at the outer edge of the seal (think of caulking a bathtub). It dries quickly and is tough. You’re done. Don’t forget the crankcase vacuum and pressure test.

I have one of these Lisle tools, but have been afraid of scratching the machined crank surfaces, so I was not successful with it. Thanks for this post!

As good a tool as it is, it's not perfect. I was unable to use it recently - even with modifications - to replace a PTO side Stihl 011AV seal. I ended up punching a hole in the (thin) metal part of the seal and prying it out. That worked fine, proving that there are many methods to skin this particular cat. If you are worried about scratching the crank surface (aren't we all), smooth the edges of the puller with fine sandpaper to get rid of any rough edges.

Back