Sugar Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to say how many until it's stacked. I also divided it with my brother as he burns too. I'm guessing about 4, the Brave splitter got a pretty good workout from this tree. Lol

Hard to say how many until it's stacked. I also divided it with my brother as he burns too. I'm guessing about 4, the Brave splitter got a pretty good workout from this tree. Lol

Sounds about right...I cut 13 truckloads from a 4' Red Oak that came out to around 5 cord. Nice haul!

So I've been chipping away at my pile of Sugar Maple that has been sitting a year. Man... some of these rounds (about 10"-14" dia) I have to whack 5-6 times with the Fiskars just to start a crack that I can work on.:dumb2: Sometimes I'll get lucky and find a crack in the round that if I hit it right there it'll bust open in one shot. Combine that with the heat lately and I'll definitely be taking my time getting this project done.:eek:

But by winter of 2018 it'll be well worth it.:yes:

So I've been chipping away at my pile of Sugar Maple that has been sitting a year. Man... some of these rounds (about 10"-14" dia) I have to whack 5-6 times with the Fiskars just to start a crack that I can work on.:dumb2: Sometimes I'll get lucky and find a crack in the round that if I hit it right there it'll bust open in one shot. Combine that with the heat lately and I'll definitely be taking my time getting this project done.:eek:

lol
I used to do that, and still do some whackin on larger rounds that I don't want to lift.
But since I went out and got the splitter, I have an easier time of it now.
You can buy a good electric splitter that will split just about anything for around $300 on sale.
Mine's a Yardworks 4 ton that it easy to tote around the yard and can even split kindling indoors with it too.

Try noodling the pieces down to a smaller diameter with a chainsaw. You lose a little bit of the mass but save a ton of effort, especially if the pieces have a lot of knots.

Latest posts

Back