Suggested Mods For 365 Special

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabhead

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
it cuts OK, but bogs down w/ pressure. Maybe i'm spoiled ' cause I'm used to my modded 2100 that will eat thru anything! It's now a desigated milling saw, so I want to improve the falling performance of my H365 Special. All suggestions welcome. BTW compression is only 142# w/ lots of carbon buildup on top of cylinder(I know, I've been running it too rich).It's a 2000 model.

swap the top end for that of a 372xp.... then think about moddling muffler, porting etc

I would say since it's basically the same saw as a 371/372 you could probably start with a muffler mod similar to the many posted(do a search). I personally like the double barrel shotgun look myself..........................(you'll find it).

As to the compression #s, probably alright. My low hour 365 runs mid-high 140s (by low hour I mean 20+ hrs). My rebuilt 371 runs mid 140s. I believe these are a lower compression by design, just my own experience and testing compared to my other saws. But I don't have access to scientific or technical data to back that up so my saws could just be F'd up anomolies......

The top end swap is very easy to do. I modified the muffler on mine and it helped quite a bit, not as much as the top end swap that I did the next week but it did help.

I added an additional port to the clutch side of the muffler. I wanted a stock type look so I opted not to go for the pipes and instead built a deflector out of 22ga sheet metal (black, not galvanized) I did all of the cutting with a dremel tool and bent the sheet metal with a vice, hammer and pliers. I welded it all with an oxy acetylene torch. Once it was all welded up I smoothed it over with the dremel and a wire wheel and gave it a coat of high temp flat black.

Here is a picture of the hole and the finished muffler. Sorry they aren't the best.

Good Luck

I forgot to mention the addition of the 371/372XP style high top air filter and cover. It is much larger than the stock flat panel that came with most of the 365 saws.

thanks guys. What's the latest verdict on the BB kits. If there's one made in Italyor India, I'll buy it , but I will NOT buy anything made in China!

I have one on the saw now and out of the box they aren't very impressive. The squish is very loose and the chamber is a little large. The newer ones the chamber is much better and so is the chrome plating but they still have the junk piston pin retainers and mediocre casting quality. There was a substantial amount of casting flash in the ports.

Out of the box and with a tank full of mix through it I was only able to get about 135psi of compression. It would just barely turn 12,000 rpm before it got scary lean and this was with the muffler mod. The squish measured out at like .043"

This past weekend a friend of mine helped me with some machine work and we fixed the problem a little. Squish is down to .020" and compression is up to about 175 psi. It really woke the saw up.

Unless you are willing to do quite a bit of work or are happy with mediocre performance I would stick to stock husky parts.

i have had a BB kit on my 365special since last July 07 and i love it. the casting quality was decent on it and i got about 160psi compression on it. i have a 371xp that i just replaced the ring on and the 365BB out performs it. so i guess the BB kits can be "hit or miss". i got mine from baileys, where did you get yours from?

As far as I know there is only the one and it is made by Baileys.

It was done by mounting the cyl. in a lathe and turning about .024" of material off of the mounting surface and the locating ring.

From what I have seen if you are looking for performance more gains can be had by modifying stock piston and cyl.

Errr Yea...made by some Chinese outfit, Imported by Bailey's.....you get the picture. I'm pretty sure the ones you see on the e-bay come from Bailey's...

I forgot to mention the addition of the 371/372XP style high top air filter and cover. It is much larger than the stock flat panel that came with most of the 365 saws.

There is no point in doing that I believe, unless the conditions are really dirty - they just add bulk and a tad of weight......

niether the 365 being ported or the 372 BB kit is going to give you that grunt you are use to with your 2100. The newer 4 channel transfers make more power up in the RPM range and don't liked to be dawged in.

This will make a 365 outcut a stock 371/372 in moderate wood:
Widen the ports, drop the intake about 1/2mm and remove the base gasket you will have a saw that runs a lot better than stock. Raising the exhaust also helps, but it will become very peaky the more you raise it. (smaller powerband). I'd start at about 1/2mm and go from there. Put it together, run it and if it isn't enough, try it again. Just be conservative. You can always take more material but you can't put it back once it is gone.

There is no point in doing that I believe, unless the conditions are really dirty - they just add bulk and a tad of weight......

Troll it is already wearing a Full Wrap Handle bar, Dual Oversize Dogs, 28" Bar etc...I don't think the extra ounce of plastic really matters...:)

and the bigger filter is really nice

78cc

I put the 372BB kit on a 365. The kit bolted right on with no problems. The quality was fine. I removed some casting flash with a hand-held grinder, but that took about 5 minutes.

After about 5 tanks of fuel, the rings are seating and the saw is really starting to fly. I'll probably run another 5 tanks through it this weekend and by then I expect it to be at full compression. I run a 24" bar with full-comp square ground chain and an 8 pin 3/8ths sprocket.

I may go in and widen the ports a bit, but for what I want from this saw, it's really fine the way it is. If I need anything bigger, I just grab the 066 with a 98cc BB kit (from Bailey's as well) and a 32" bar.

it cuts OK, but bogs down w/ pressure. Maybe i'm spoiled ' cause I'm used to my modded 2100 that will eat thru anything! It's now a desigated milling saw, so I want to improve the falling performance of my H365 Special. All suggestions welcome. BTW compression is only 142# w/ lots of carbon buildup on top of cylinder(I know, I've been running it too rich).It's a 2000 model.

Just a quick note on the carbon buildup. Add some seafoam to your fuel mix and in a few tanks it'll disappear pretty quickly. At least until you fix your fuel mix. And yes it's very very safe for your saw.

Latest posts

Back