Another 5105 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandcars

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wanted to increase the performance in my Dolmar 5105 by doing a MM. I took a slightly different approach than 2 other muffler mods I saw here.

I Cut the top of the main can apart. When assembling I used the removable heat shield as the new top of the can. I threw the middle part away, and spot-welded the spark arrestor cover on.

I also inserted a steel baffle that helped with the sound. I didn't take a good pic of it, but it's a 2" x 1.5" steel piece welded above the opening and attached to the 2 tubes, it deflects sound forward and to the side so it doesn't have a straight-shot from muffler inlet to exit.

Before welding the spark arrestor on I cut the exit opening wider. With that additional exit space and the screw hole I have some more open area. I welded the screw hole below the chain brake after I installed it, didn't want hot exhaust going right on the plastic brake. The new opening is probably around 75% to 80% of the exhaust port area. Overall it made a big improvement.

I used stainless wire in my Mig welder. I'm not a pro welder by any means and it took me until the final welds to get the machine and me adjusted correctly.

To finish I cleaned everything up in the blast cabinet (glass beads) for that satin look.

Results:
Sound: A little louder but also a better sound, sounds "sporty". Not ear-piercing like a big open hole muffler mod. hearing protection suggested but not absolutely required to avoid a splitting headache.
Performance: Definately an improvement in response, especially acceleration. Bogs less and up to speed very quickly.
Tuning: It seemed to like 1/8 turn richer.

Pulls the 20" bar with 3/8 chain a lot better, doesn't bog as easy as before. I was regretting my 3/8 20" bar upgrade, but now I'm very happy. Tested it in some full-width pine and it cuts very nice.

Last edited:
Pulls the 20" bar with 3/8 chain a lot better, doesn't bog as easy as before. I was regretting my 3/8 20" bar upgrade, but now I'm very happy. Tested it in some full-width pine and it cuts very nice.

Further notes:

I put the original .325 pitch 18" bar combo back on and cut some smaller stuff and I gotta say it seems the saw likes that combo better. It seems to keep the revs up better and not stall out. From memory it pulls better than when stock (MM was effective) and maybe this is the better setup.

I don't have a 18" bar with 3/8 chain to compare it to and probably won't get one just cause the cost / benefit doesn't seem there.

I modified the muffler on my 5105 to eliminate the catalytic reactor with no welding or cutting. It even looks as original.

I purchased a 5100 muffler for it. I'm not making any claims of more power or different sound but only that there is less weight.

attachment.php

Back