suggestions on lightweight chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogirl

Reaction score
I wanted to get some advice on what kind of chainsaw would be best for me. I need something lightweight to cut down small trees that are overtaking our woods. I want to do this myself, but have looked at some chainsaws and they are all so heavy. I tried a 14 inch rechargable, but it leaked oil and I just wasn't satisfied. I want to be safe and just really need something that I can handle. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Melanie from Ohio.

A small rear handled Echo like the CS-306 or CS-346 would do well.
They are very light at only around 8 lbs and aren't expensive (but have better quality than equally priced larger saws).
Make sure you get one with a rear handle. Top handled chainsaws aren't as user friendly on the ground.

How big are the trees?
You may want to consider a large Silky handsaw such as the Ibuki or Sugoi.
I have a Zubat and it's a great saw that will cut through 2-3 inch saplings like butter. For larger trees or removals only I'd go with the larger Silkys.

Not sure what your looking to spend but the Stihl MS192 and the MS 200 would be great light weight choices. For cheaper, less quality the MS210 or MS180 will do the job too.

Good Luck
and don't forget o wear safety chaps, gloves, hearing protection, and safety glasses when using a saw

Do you have a budget in mind?

Is this a one or two day project?

Is renting an option? A chance to try before you buy.

The above mentioned models are great choices, but please remember to include eye, hearing, face protection, along with leather gloves, good boots (steel toe preferrably), and chaps.

Well cared for PPE will last you as long as a well cared for saw, and don't cut alone if possible.

Latest posts

Back