Summer Fill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.S.Woodchucker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I had the propane man come out and fill us at summer fill price (0.99 a gallon), we have an 1800 sq ft really uninsulated house in northern Indiana out in a corn field, gas oven and a 30,000 btu standing pro-com heater (to use for shoulder seasons). We used 200 gallons since last June. I couldn't tell you how many cords of wood I burnt but if we had used our furnace we would have been a lot colder in the house all winter!

Our coop ain't advertized a "summer fill" special yet, usually not until July. Last year it was 99¢, but LPG is even cheaper and more plentiful this year. Back in January, we here in Iowa were paying about $1.55 (average) while y'all in Indiana were paying around $2.10... I expect our "summer fill" price to be well under a buck this year. If prices remain low into next winter I'll be heating some with LPG for the first time in about 5 years... when ya' allow for everything involved, LPG at something under a buck ain't any more expensive to burn then firewood‼ And if ya' purchase your firewood (even in log form), LPG comes in way cheaper. (LOL) I can remember when I thought 65¢ for LPG was robbery... now 75¢ looks like a can't-pass-on-it bargain.

Wow that's really cheap! The lowest I've seen propane here has been about 3.00/gal.

The first spring after I put a Blaze King the natural gas company showed up "no notice" and replaced my meter. Never even left me a note. I only noticed because it was a different color.

Called them up, mostly irriated they would do it without my ok. They claimed the meter was broken.
I told them I put 8n a wood stove and I got an ear full about not letting them know....HA!

Gas bill is about $600/year, where before it was about 3x that.

Have Gas water heater, kitchen stove and clothes dryer and gas heat in the garage so still need it.... alot of the cost is all their "maintenance fees" vs actual gas costs.

Couple folks I hauled wood to last winter talked about $500+ gas bills for ONE month on a normal sized home. OUCH!

I was paying around 2.37 here in pa. I just bought my own 1000 propane tank and got propane for .74 a gallon. I guess it pays to shop around.

I have heard $.89 here, well, half hour south. Have not burned much last 2 years, but like to keep 1000 gallon tank full just in case. I fill my grill tanks and family and friends off the big one. Run the furnace every to make sure it is working yet, or get lazy and not start a fire.

Yep , My typical bill is is maybe $20 ng or less/ month and then $20+ for all the add on charges. Even if I were to not to consume any ng I would still have a min of about $20. The way it has been working for me is about 1.75 x the actual ng used for add ons.( note the electric is figured separately so I get drained twice for administration and such charges, that said I really can't get my total bill under about $50/month) Recently us poor consumers got a break and WE Energies got caught with their hands in the cookie jar- seems they have been over charging - courts said they need to refund- one of the guys just got a check for $600. I don't know for what time period or duration this covers or if it is only certain areas of the metro. I haven't seen or heard squat. for my place- wouldn't amount to much any way.

Yep , My typical bill is is maybe $20 ng or less/ month and then $20+ for all the add on charges. Even if I were to not to consume any ng I would still have a min of about $20. The way it has been working for me is about 1.75 x the actual ng used for add ons.( note the electric is figured separately so I get drained twice for administration and such charges, that said I really can't get my total bill under about $50/month) Recently us poor consumers got a break and WE Energies got caught with their hands in the cookie jar- seems they have been over charging - courts said they need to refund- one of the guys just got a check for $600. I don't know for what time period or duration this covers or if it is only certain areas of the metro. I haven't seen or heard squat. for my place- wouldn't amount to much any way.
be nice,,if ALLL the ng's, had to pay back,,for their BS charges......line maintenence charge,,yeah, right..........transportation charge,,and all the rest...im old enough to remember,,when NONE of that was charged.....

Wasn't that it wasn't charged just wasn't listed as SEPARATE LINE ITEMS that they could willy nilly with to increase bottom line, bills of old were one item all inclusive. Additionally around here we are not dealing directly with the supplier but rather a distribution conglomerate, therefore their profit center is not the gas itself but everything else. On the other side they do own about 18 or more electric generation plants, 1 is bio mass fired ,2 wind systems and about 8 hydro- 1 in WI the rest in MI. the remaining plants are coal and or ng fired systems.( 1/2 of these are only peak demand units) Back in the 70's and 80's they eliminated all the real small hydro units in the state as they didn't want to expend funds to upgrade or bring into compliance with fed and state regs. They also sold off the the 2 nuke units at Point beach again to mostly avoid cost of regs compliance - the biomass unit in Rothchild dang near bankrupted Rothchild due to infrastructure upgrades to support it. Other than the power supplied to the paper mill ( steam) almost all of output is sold out of state and because it is a utility doesn't pay taxes. ( at least that is what I have read) WE lists a cost for the plant but fails to mention that it was mostly financed by state and fed grants( not sure how much of the wind units were done same way). No such deal for Rothchild - they had to improve the roadways to support the heavy truck traffic. ( A lot of info on this plant vs Rothchild has been swept under the rug and I really haven't kept up with it) won't even get into the WE vs Waste Management deal ( electric generation from methane fired units) WE refused to purchase, said output was was incompatible- too dirty? Geese you should see what the power line looks like on my scope talk about a mess. I've had my go arounds with WE on the electric side- private and business wise. Business stuff was when I was still in the field doing repair work. sorry about all the hot air kinda gets me riled up a bit

Wasn't that it wasn't charged just wasn't listed as SEPARATE LINE ITEMS that they could willy nilly with to increase bottom line, bills of old were one item all inclusive. Additionally around here we are not dealing directly with the supplier but rather a distribution conglomerate, therefore their profit center is not the gas itself but everything else. On the other side they do own about 18 electric generation plants, 1 is bio mass fired ,2 wind systems and about 8 hydro- 1 in WI the rest in MI. the remaining plants are coal and or ng fired systems. Back in the 70's and 80's they eliminated all the real small hydro units in the state as they didn't want to expend funds to upgrade or bring into compliance with fed and state regs. They also sold off the the 2 nuke units at Point beach again to mostly avoid cost of regs compliance - the biomass unit in Rothchild dang near bankrupted Rothchild due to infrastructure upgrades to support it. Other than the power supplied to the paper mill almost all of output is sold out of state and because it is a utility doesn't pay taxes. ( at least that is what I have read) WE lists a cost for the plant but fails to mention that it was mostly financed by state and fed grants. No such deal for Rothchild - they had to improve the roadways to support the heavy truck traffic. ( A lot of info on this plant vs Rothchild has been swept under the rug and I really haven't kept up with it)
so your saying,,the gov would lie??? HEAVEN FORBID!!!!!! or utility co's???? :dizzy::laughing:

Quote from White Spider
Holly crap‼ I better stop at the coop and check prices.
That likely puts us at something under 70¢... I may just heat without wood this year.
Better not, Libel to get fat!

Quote from White Spider
Holly crap‼ I better stop at the coop and check prices.
That likely puts us at something under 70¢... I may just heat without wood this year.
Better not, Libel to get fat!
stockpile and sit on it while it lasts.

There is no way in heck these big global energy companies are going to continue cheap energy prices. ain't their gig. But being crooks is, just they work longer term than most people think and do.

What is going on is a pump/dump/buy it up at bankruptcy scam. Prices will go back up once all the smaller energy companies go bankrupt and the huge companies pick them up for ten cents on the dollar. I am talking internationally plus domestically, it's all interconnected.

They do this over and over again in the markets over the years/decades/generations, various industries and commodities, obvious as &*^$^&*.

Back