Super AwEsOmE custom tow hook auction for Jeremy's wife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, to keep stuff square and fair -- I contacted Brian about making him another hook.

I can't afford to buy anymore material out-of-pocket, so Brian has agreed to pay the $200 for another.

I'll deduct material costs and forward the rest to the donation tab for Jeremy and his bride.

That's 4 big winners in my book.

So, Bryan and Ross -- you guys are winners at $200 each.

Please donate, and post a screen shot here of the paid donation.

Bryan, PM me with your mailing address, Ross I have yours.

Thanks for your giving spirits guys!! :0)

You guys are all awesome.

Five fives all around.

Tina-Fey-giving-herself-high-five.gif

Bryan and Ross, will be sending your hooks out soon.

I decided it was an opportunity for me to experiment -- as I'm waiting on something else that goes in your boxes.

I soaked the hooks in vinegar for 4 days, flipping them once a day, to ensure everything got etched.

By god, I think I'm sold! The mill scale is completely consumed, and a good portion of the plasma dross. It left a finish similar to soda blast, or light sandblast.

Super clean, should make welding nice.

So, with that nice finish -- I thought about wear. No paint, liquid or powder, lasts on a hitch.

But, an oxide layer might. I want to soak these hooks, force a black oxide layer (with Ferric Chloride) -- & then heat and soak them in canola oil.

Cheap, Western Family style, Canola oil spray works great to hinder rust on bare steel. I use it on tool handles and heads -- it works amazingly well, and it's not a horribly tacky finish.

Anywho, I haven't forgotten about y'all.

Back