Support Group: Owners of Abused chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't loan out the 3120 or 066, 372 I would let Dad or Lester use if I were there, Super XL or 150 I would loan to Lester short term. But I'm usually with him if he's cutting anyway.

Mark

+ 6 or more :)
No one respects a saw like the owner.

My saws lived in either my bedroom or the back-bedroom for a coupla years.

:chainsawguy: :love1:

Okay, with that out in the open I can confess....I have three saws in my kitchen!

Whew - That's better.
:greenchainsaw:

Loaned a saw out once, over a year later had to find out where He lived to retrive it,he was upset when I asked for it.When I had my chain saw shop use to let people I knew use an old saw while theirs was being fixed,sometimes they liked it so well they bought it as a spare.It also helped drum up business.When my son in laws started asking to borrow saws I found that it was cheaper just to give them an old saw.Its theirs so now they got to take care of it,they were not junk, made sure they ran good when they took them.

No way I'd loan out a chainsaw. Even if I didn't depend on mine to keep us in firewood, which is how we heat. If I like someone, I'll take the saw over and help them in whatever project, but I go with the saw and I'm the one running it. Of course, I don't loan out my guitars, airplane, dogs, cars, or other tools, either.

If I DID loan out a saw and it either came back a long time later or came back rocked out or burned up or whatever, I'd have to figure out a way to kick my own arse for being an idiot.

Last edited:
i loaned out a saw once it was a old 850 mac it came back
with a bar that looked like a banana. better it than my
husky or stihl.afew months later it was stolen. i kinda
miss that old mac.i definity learned a lesson i go and cut
the tree for them. btw i sleep with my saws sometimes too
better than a teddy bear:givebeer:

my father and I dont even swap saws when we're in the bush together. Maybe that explains my fascination with saws; my dad never let me use. I had to buy my own and basically learn to use it on my own!

I don't loan any of my equipment out PERIOD. I don't mind helping someone out with a project that requires the equipment, but no way are they using my stuff. That way if it does break, I can only blame myself.

I'd loan out Old Sparkless but only after a lecture on saw mix and bar oil, but Fluffy (440)would only be loaned to folks who I know would take proper care of him.

Fluffy is a HIM??? :dizzy: Oh no no no no no no..... Naming a chainsaw is one thing, but no 440 should be named Fluffy, Bubbles, Cuddles or any other Poodle names. They should be named things like Thrasher, Jaws, or The Hulk. Something with a real bite in them. :chainsaw:

Next thing yah know, your 440 is going to need a hug and group therapy at Lakeside's shop up there in Washington. Its gonna need a full porting modification and dual port muffler, a 3/4 wrap and a dual dawg upgrade just to compensate for its inferiority complex that you are giving it. Then its going to need a real long 32 inch bar with a razor sharp skip chain just so that people know its not a whimpy saw, like a Poulon. Er, I mean Poodle. :cheers:

add this to the list of won't do that again!

I am the keeper of the nice equipment and as such I am called upon to allow family members to borrow things. I let my brother(who has little to no mechanical skills) use my Homelite 925 XL to cut some large logs for firewood that he found somewhere. Under normal conditions I would have not let him use this saw but he was cutting wood for dad and it would save some work for me or so I thought and the 925 is a pretty tough saw to hurt. This XL925 24" was in really nice shape for its age and I do use that in the past tense. Now the bar is bent, tip is crushed, sprocket is shot, handle is broke, bar adjuster is stripped, and the chain is off and is jamed like a pretzel. How all this could happen in 1 outing is beyond me. I am still trying to figure out what he did short of hooking a tractor up to the thing and yanking it out of a pinch. I will add this to the list of won't do that again and just cut the stuff myself. I am going to bite the bullet and fix it becasue it does make a nice backup saw even though it will cost around $175. I am pretty sure that I won't be loaning it out, or anything else anytime soon, unless I go with it.

Okay, with that out in the open I can confess....I have three saws in my kitchen!

Whew - That's better.
:greenchainsaw:

My saws stay in the kitchen, too:

2083403090_da37af6c15.jpg

2083413444_bfc1885c63.jpg

But when I get my welder and O/A torch back from my brother the saws will move into the living room.

Last edited:
Do you live on your own?

I would so die for putting saws and compressors in the kitchen.

I nearly died when I washed a whole load of 070 parts in the dishwasher. She was not pleased. :angry2:

Do you live on your own?

I would so die for putting saws and compressors in the kitchen.

I nearly died when I washed a whole load of 070 parts in the dishwasher. She was not pleased. :angry2:

I do live on my own, you can really tell from the living room decorations:

2083112243_204a76d68f.jpg

but it suits me well.

I don't run the saws in the house very much, other than that I just keep the windows open when I weld or clean carbs or anything else that has odors.

I borrowed a 345 this weekend for a test run on a cord or so. I told my buddy that if ANYTHING broke on it I would by him a new one. I'm glad all went well, cause I didn't want to own that saw....

Nobody can kill a saw faster than an employee. I've seen chains run backwards, new bars smoked in less than an hour and chains that are so dull they can't cut through bark. I've seen guys trying to file chains from 5 different angles and directions. The worst of all is when the saw won't start. When in doubt run without the air cleaner. I'd fire someone if they did that to my saws.

Back in the middle 70's I used to work at a dealer that carried Poulan chainsaws and serviced any brand....including Clinton. I was surprised how many saws that came in for repair were brought in by either the fellow that borrowed the saw.....or worse yet the guy that loaned it. That experience has made me someone that will never loan a chainsaw......all my relatives know that story from my past. I will however go cut wood for them when they are in need.

The two most frequent repairs however were not too serious and were either sharpening chains that were abused.....or just getting the saw to run again as it had been sitting for several years unused and would not start. The most serious repairs were the stuck/scored pistons when the borrower added fuel that was not mixed with oil.

I do live on my own, you can really tell from the living room decorations:

2083112243_204a76d68f.jpg

but it suits me well.

that must be the smartest set up I have seen so far.
You can tinker on saws and post on AS at the same time :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: (wait , where's the tele ????)

Back